VMware Cloud Community
CalmCloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to populate "Status Details" of a request

Hi All,

Our VM provisioning workflow calls BuidlingMachine and MachineProvisioned workflows during provisioning. When provisioning fails the "Status Detail" of the request is populated by VRA. It does not provide useful information to the user. For example if the request fails in "BuildingMachine" workflow during ActiveDirectory object creation then status detail should display "ActiveDirectory integration failed". Currently it displays "Machine deleted before provisoning". The field "StatusDetail" can be updated in BuildingMachine but it might get overwritten by VRA. How to update Status Detail? or How you are providing useful information about failure to the requester?

Thx

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

From all I could find on this, there is not a way to custom populate this field.

0 Kudos
CalmCloud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for looking into it.

The main issue is how to pass failure information to the user. In our case user request a VM from Advance Services which in turn invokes blueprint in VRA. When the blue print fails there is not any useful information in the blueprint request "Status Detail" and same with AdvanceService request. An email( coded in the workflow) is sent to the user when the request fails but it does not have any useful information about the failure( not sure where to get it). One option is to update a VM Custom property when a task fails. The VM is destroyed when any of the tasks fail so custom property is not accessible. The other option is to write error messages to a database outside VRA. I can implement with the database but wanted to make sure I am not missing something provided in the product.

0 Kudos