VMware Cloud Community
AGrueninger
Contributor
Contributor

How to create an user account

I searched for a possibility to create an user account or a group but to no avail.

There exists a plugin for AD and there seems to be a class for LDAPUser.

But I could not find anything to manage the accounts and groups in vsphere.local.

Greetings

Andreas

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dhanarajramesh

you can bind authentication with SSO. make sure you have installed SSO and with out SSO you can not create user ID. Log in to the vSphere Web Client as administrator@vsphere.local or as another user with vCenter Single Sign-On administrator privileges. then Browse to Administration > Single Sign-On > Users and Groups then On the Users tab, click the New User icon and create user account there.

0 Kudos
AGrueninger
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the answer.

I was a little bit unclear because I missed "not manually" in my question.

I am looking for an api Interface to create user or Group accounts.

Something like New-VIAccount in powershell or a workflow in orchestrator.

Thanks

Andreas

0 Kudos
Burke-
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Andreas - I have no idea how you would go about automating accounts in vsphere.local of the vCenter server... Why exactly do you want to do this anyway? Ideally your vCenter should be using something else for user account management - SSO, Active Directory, etc...  If you assign vCenter permissions to the roles and assign groups to those roles, you could then use the AD plug-in to create/add users to the groups you have defined in vCenter. That is the approach I would look further into if I were tasked with similar.

I dug around for a bit in my vCenter server and am not sure where the vSphere.local domain is provided from (ie: config files, services, etc..) so I'm not sure how one would go about automating.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you!

Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator
for vRealize Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @TechnicalValues on Twitter
0 Kudos
AGrueninger
Contributor
Contributor

We have 25 datacenters and about 70 users with different permissions. The accounts stem from 25 ADs connected through WAN. The trusts are single sided and this a situation which can not be handled from SSO Service. If a Domain cannot ne reached the SSO Service hangs and no one can login.

I am now evaluating the possibilities to define the users in vsphere.local as an alternative to this unsatisfying situation.

0 Kudos