VMware Cloud Community
Hazenet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to bypass Configuration Wizard of newly deployed vRO 7.3

On a newly deployed vRO 7.3, when trying to reach the Control Center, a Configuration Wizard is presented and required to be filled out.

I perfectly understand this, but I am in the situation where I want to run vRO in VMware Fusion on my Mac for a lightweight mobile development environment.

But this Configuration Wizard requires I select between vRA and vSphere for authentication. And the resource requirements for running any of these is simply to big, just for authentication.

But the vRO is already in the background running the old and now deprecated standard LDAP authentication, which is more than enough for my needs.

I have verified that the LDAP authentication still is the default, because while the Configuration Wizard are shown in the Web-browser I can login via the vRO Client, using the default vcoadmin:vcoadmin credentials.

So the question is, would it be possible to bypass the Configuration Wizard, and thereby continue to use LDAP as authentication?

I know its deprecated and properly unsupport.

Tags (3)
8 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sent you a private message.

Out of curiosity, for your use case would it have been enough if, instead of configuring a full-blown external or embedded LDAP server, you had an option to use a simplified (eg. file-based) authentication with small number of users/roles?

0 Kudos
MichaelRyom
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have the same problem
Blogging at https://MichaelRyom.dk
0 Kudos
ChrisMueller85
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm also interested as well.

0 Kudos
snitass
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. If anyone knows, would you mind please?

Thanks a ton!

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I'm also interested in this. Furthermore, I question the decision to remove LDAP as an authentication source because it goes against the narrative VMware are painting that goes something like, "vRO is not just for VMware environments--use it for anything you can talk to!" When your only supported mechanisms for authentication are both VMware products, this type of story is a load of bunk.

igorstoyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

>"vRO is not just for VMware environments--use it for anything you can talk to!" I think that vRO could be integrated with anything it can talk to but not intended to be used for non-VMware environments where neither vCenter or vRA are presented. Hence, the two supported authentication options.

Visit http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for the latest in Cloud Orchestration.
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I think that vRO could be integrated with anything it can talk to but not intended to be used for non-VMware environments where neither vCenter or vRA are presented. Hence, the two supported authentication options.

Yes, that's clearly true, but what I'm saying is this isn't the narrative that's being perpetuated by VMware and major vRO enthusiasts out there. Their message is and has been that vRO gets an unfair reputation because people view it as only working with VMware-based technologies, but it can be used by anyone for anything even if they aren't VMware customers. The reality in present day is that's just not true and, whatever else you might bring to the table, you at least better have vSphere or vRA if you hope to use it. Further, I can't understand what strategic benefits are gained by removal of general LDAP authentication. The addition of vSphere PSC or vRA registry, sure, I understand and there is good value there. But removal of plain LDAP? What does that get you?

qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I totally agree with you!  This tool should be free and easy to setup as a stand alone application.  You want people to love this product so much they naturally gravitate to the VMware ecosystem.  In this day and age you really can't expect to charge for something like this.  You do want to grow your user/developer base though.

0 Kudos