VMware Cloud Community
nanw1103
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

How can I forcefully update my vRO plugin?

It always tells me a newer version or the same version has already been installed.

Or is there any way to bump my developed plugin version? Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It depends on which vRO version do you have installed. In newer versions, you can try the button 'Force plug-ins reinstall' in vRO Control Center > Troubleshooting page.

The version of a plug-in is stored in plug-in metadata file, located in plug-in's DAR file /VSO-INF/vso.xml . At the beginning of this file, you can see XML attributes for version and build number, and also an <installation/> element which specifies whether the plug-in will be always installed on only if the new version/build number is greater than the existing ones.

How do you create this vso.xml file - by hand or automatically during the plug-in build script? It is recommended to increase build number attribute when you make changes in the plug-in and want to release a new version. This increase is done either manually, or if you have a continuous integration build system, you can try to integrate the plug-in build with this system and automatically update the build number on each build.

0 Kudos
yatigammanabnd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a similar question relating to this topic, as it seems that an installation mode of "version" only updates the plugin if the plugin is a higher major.minor version, but not if it is a higher major.minor.revision or build.

The doc: installation Element , implies that there is no way to say, look at the build number to decide. Or check the third digit of the version to update.

Is there a way to make either happen (besides from the installation "mode" to "always")?

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

When you specify installation mode as "version", the server will decide whether to update the plug-in or not by first comparing the version numbers of the new and the existing plug-in, and if the versions are equal, then it will check the plug-ins' build numbers.

Fox eample:

* existing plug-in version 1.0.0 build 123, new plug-in version 2.0.0 build 123 -> will perform update (new version > existing version)

* existing plug-in version 1.0.0 build 123, new plug-in version 1.0.0 build 124 -> will perform update (new version == existing version, new build number > old build number)

0 Kudos
yatigammanabnd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

so I figured out why it wasn't working for me (it is now, as described by you) - just in case anyone else falls down the same trap.

So when starting from a fresh maven archetype build, it sets the pom version as x.x.x-SNAPSHOT

it seems to not like "SNAPSHOT" and gets confused. We are not actually using snapshots here, so I removed it (so it is just x.x.x) and it works as expected.

0 Kudos