VMware Cloud Community
cshells
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Horizon Plug-in - Create Custom Workflows?

I just installed the Horizon plug-in for Orchestrator. I currently have a workflow for a new employee that creates an AD account, VDI, etc. This workflow is kicked off from HTTP REST call and passes JSON for the variables. I started looking at the Horizon workflows and it doesn't look like I can really clone them or use different actions to integrate into my own workflow. It looks like it is very tightly integrated together and has dynamic values being passed that using JSON or XML for variables won't work. Am I seeing this correctly!?

If so, has anyone automated their Horizon so it is customized to what they need? And how? I am so close to having a great workflow for new employees and I just need to add some actions on the end of it that add the VDI to a pool and then entitle the user.

Any insight would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cshells
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Alright, nevermind. I answered my own question after messing around for a while. Yes, you can create custom workflows with the Horizon plug-in. It definitely isn't as easy, but all the default workflows use a workflow from the "Core Moduels > Business Logic" folder. If you dig through those workflows you can pull different pieces out to create a custom workflow. There is a bunch of security built into the workflows and there is actually data being dynamically created when you start a workflows run wizard. As the workflow presentation is loading it is pulling information at the same time, so you have to actually look at the presentation and check the properties set for the different input variables. You will find there are input variables that are set to hidden and are caching data that is used in combination with the input variables you enter. I also cut out a lot of the security with Delegated Administrators on my custom workflows, BUT I setup the Horizon plug-in following the documentation so the Delegated Administrators group was created on vCenter with the Extensions permissions and the user I run these custom workflows with is a part of that group, so I am betting the workflows will fail even if you cut out the security parts of the workflow if you don't have a user running the workflows that is setup correctly.

Hopefully this made sense and helps someone out in the future. Just follow the install guide and setup the plug-in with all the Delegated Administrators configuration and then look at some workflows and the presentation properties. This should all make a little more sense after you do that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
cshells
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Alright, nevermind. I answered my own question after messing around for a while. Yes, you can create custom workflows with the Horizon plug-in. It definitely isn't as easy, but all the default workflows use a workflow from the "Core Moduels > Business Logic" folder. If you dig through those workflows you can pull different pieces out to create a custom workflow. There is a bunch of security built into the workflows and there is actually data being dynamically created when you start a workflows run wizard. As the workflow presentation is loading it is pulling information at the same time, so you have to actually look at the presentation and check the properties set for the different input variables. You will find there are input variables that are set to hidden and are caching data that is used in combination with the input variables you enter. I also cut out a lot of the security with Delegated Administrators on my custom workflows, BUT I setup the Horizon plug-in following the documentation so the Delegated Administrators group was created on vCenter with the Extensions permissions and the user I run these custom workflows with is a part of that group, so I am betting the workflows will fail even if you cut out the security parts of the workflow if you don't have a user running the workflows that is setup correctly.

Hopefully this made sense and helps someone out in the future. Just follow the install guide and setup the plug-in with all the Delegated Administrators configuration and then look at some workflows and the presentation properties. This should all make a little more sense after you do that.

0 Kudos