VMware Cloud Community
GBartsch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Has does vRO handle exported workflow packages with the same version, but different element content?

Ok,

So I was at a customer today and they had two workflow packages to setup Compute for their environment...

The two packages were the same exported package from vRO, and the versioning on the sub-components (various elements) were the same.

Obvoiusly, not a best practice.

My question is this: What is the best way (and quickest way) to tell the differences between two export vRO packages when the versions on all of the components inside are the SAME, but the actual scripting / constants / etc. are not?

[In other words, they've been not updating versions as they've been changing things like scripting elements, and so on. -ugh-]

GB

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If what you have is only the two *.package files, one possible way would be to extract both package files to folders on disk (*.package files are in fact *.zip files so any tool that can work with ZIP files will do), and then compare the two folders with some diff program (eg. Araxis Merge, or any other diff tool that can compare folders).

Then, the interesting stuff are differences in files \elements\{object-guid}\data in these two folders. These data files contain content of the corresponding element (workflow/action/etc.) and also some metadata like element type, version, etc.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If what you have is only the two *.package files, one possible way would be to extract both package files to folders on disk (*.package files are in fact *.zip files so any tool that can work with ZIP files will do), and then compare the two folders with some diff program (eg. Araxis Merge, or any other diff tool that can compare folders).

Then, the interesting stuff are differences in files \elements\{object-guid}\data in these two folders. These data files contain content of the corresponding element (workflow/action/etc.) and also some metadata like element type, version, etc.

0 Kudos
GBartsch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you!

I did forget one important question that I had regarding this... a follow-up, per se:

When importing packages with the same name and/or version numbers, but different content (ex. modified scriptable task, but the version was never updated), does vRO use something other than version control numbers to determine if the element needs to be updated?  (e.g. CRC, hash, etc.)

Thank you.

GB

0 Kudos