VMware Cloud Community
SamWolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Error handling and reprompting for data.

Hello,

I am looking for a method of re-entering incorrect workflow inputs without losing the execution instance of the workflow in question. Within my environment there are a few workflows which involve the provisioning of multiple peripherals such as storage networking within nested workflows, and often times a failure due to incorrect user input or otherwise occurs. These midway failures end up requiring a entire rerun of the workflow in question which to add up quickly in terms of lots time. Ultimately breaking apart the workflows was where I ended up but this seems to be unfavorable as it requires more babysitting and manual input. Has anyone produced a creative method for recognizing the error, presenting the incorrect value and retrieving a new input from user input.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

hmmmm, the very extensive solution then would be:

Add an exception binding to the workflow element that fails, and "react" on the error with a user interaction element that asks again for these parameters. When these are provided, after the user interaction "go back" to the crucial workflow element.

... the "poor man's" (or before 5.5) resume strategy...

Cheers,

Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

vCO 5.5 introduced a resume from failure feature which should address your needs.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you! Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for vCenter Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @vCOTeam on Twitter
SamWolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Curses, we wont be upgrading to 5.5 anytime soon due to its handling of code updates to the cluster.

Thanks for the speedy reply though!

0 Kudos
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

hmmmm, the very extensive solution then would be:

Add an exception binding to the workflow element that fails, and "react" on the error with a user interaction element that asks again for these parameters. When these are provided, after the user interaction "go back" to the crucial workflow element.

... the "poor man's" (or before 5.5) resume strategy...

Cheers,

Joerg

0 Kudos
SamWolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the input fellas.

0 Kudos