VMware Cloud Community
seangadson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dynamically Add vCenter SDK Plugin or Use API?

Is there a way to dynamically add vCenter Server SDK (vSphere) to vRO?  I want to be as stateless as possible.  One possible way I thought about was just using the vCenter API vs the actual SDK Plugin but I don't know how to import the certificate to the api.  I am looking for something similar solution like using the transient host for rest host

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Oh, I see.

I think the current versions of vCenter plug-in do not support such 'transient' endpoints. So you can just run the workflow to add a normal endpoint, do whatever you want with it, and then run the workflow to remove the endpoint.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Could you provide a bit more details? What is this vCenter SDK plugin?

0 Kudos
seangadson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The vSphere vCenter Plugin used to perform operations on the vCenter Managed objects

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

vCenter plug-in is part of the standard vRO deployment so you don't need to add it separately. You just have to configure your vCenter endpoint(s) by running the workflow 'Add a vCenter Server instance'.

Or if you mean the integration plug-in which is deployed on vSphere Web client side and allows to run vRO workflows from within vSphere Web client UI - you'll need to run the workflow to register vCenter extension so vSphere Web client will be able to download and deploy the plug-in. There are also some prerequisites for it to work, for example, vRO authentication should be configured to use the same PSC as vSphere Web client.

0 Kudos
seangadson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Sorry for the confusion now.  What I am looking for is to dynamically use the vCenter endpoint without it storing it in the actual inventory.  Much like how I can make rest calls with the transient host for rest operations where i can make rest calls without the rest point actually being stored in then inventory.  Is the best way just to use the add/remove configuration workflow? 

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Oh, I see.

I think the current versions of vCenter plug-in do not support such 'transient' endpoints. So you can just run the workflow to add a normal endpoint, do whatever you want with it, and then run the workflow to remove the endpoint.

0 Kudos
seangadson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ahhh ok do you know any idea if there is a vCenter Rest API Swagger specification?

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
seangadson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just an FYI I just ended up using the vCenter Rest Host as a Transient Host

0 Kudos