VMware Cloud Community
cam00827
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dynamic Types doesn't show any objects in inventory

Hi

I thought I'd have a look at the new Dynamic Types feature in vCO 5.5.1 after stumbling across this tutorial: Dynamic Types tutorial : Implement your own Twitter plug-in without any scripting, however - I've run into a bit of an issue.

So I've downloaded the Dynamic Types plug-in generator package and run the Create a new plug-in (namespace and matching REST host) - this ran fine and created the namespace and REST Host as expected.  I've then ran the Create a new plug-in type and followed through the user interaction forms and validated all of the received data - this also ran successfully.  My only problem is, no instances of the type created are shown in the Inventory - and there is 100% at least 4 objects being returned from our REST API.  When I manually run the COE->Dynamic Types Plug-in generator->Plug-in-Methods-> FindAll workflow I can see in the logs that it is making the correct objects with the correct id/name - why do these objects not show up inventory?

So moving on from this package I thought I'd use the standard workflows that come with the Dynamic Types plugin, so I added the namespace/type and autogenerated the workflow stubs for the type.  I then went into each of these workflow stubs and filled in the "TO-DO" script with the code to set the appropriate output, e.g. the  Find All xxx.xxx workflow uses the appropriate REST host to get an array of JSON objects from the API, and then iterates over these objects and calls the DynamicTypesManager.makeObject() method, before finally pushing them to the output array.  However this doesn't show any inventory objects either.

In both instances I've reloaded the inventory namespace multiple times and got nothing.  It seems as though the DynamicTypesManager.makeObject() is only making the object in the local scope as I can see that it is creating the correct objects/data types using System.debug, yet they do not show up outside the workflow and in the workflow token attributes they remain unset. 

Is there anything really obvious that I'm missing?/Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!

James

Tags (1)
21 Replies
PengVCE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Christophe,

I have a vCO 5.5.1 (build 1617127) appliance in which there is an old version of the Dynamic Types plug-in already.

1. Do I need to remove it before installing the new version?

2. I tried to uninstall the old plug-in, also removed the old package from within vCO client. But all the old Dyanmic Types workflows are still there and it seems that I don't even have the permission to either remove or edit them.

Thanks,

Peng

0 Kudos
PengVCE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Christophe,

The new plugin and generator package works great. I have all the objects populated in vCO inventory.

Here is my note for installing the new plugin and generator package in vCO 5.5.1.

1. Remove the old version of DynamicTypes plugin from vCO 5.5.1 first (because vCO 5.5.1 comes with an old version of the plug-in).

2. Restart vCO service and vCO configuration service.

3. Install the new version of DynamicTypes plugin.

4. Restart vCO service and vCO configuration service.

5. Import the generator package.

NOTE: during importing the package, when it comes to the screen to pick up the new workflows, make sure to pick the ones under DynamicTypes as well and overwrite the current ones (the current ones are from the old plug-in).

Thank you very much!

Peng