VMware Cloud Community
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Create vm on an NVDS network not connecting

I have some workflows that I've used forever for creating vm's that work with both standard and distributed virtual switches.  We've just started using NSX-T and from the vCenter perspective they seem to look like a standard network.  When I use System.getModule("com.vmware.library.vc.vm.spec.config.device").createVirtualEthernetCardNetworkConfigSpec() to create the virtual ethernet card it appears like everything is built correctly.  If I look at the vm in vCenter the correct network shows as configured.  When I power it up though the network is in a disconnected state.  If I can't modify the connection state while its running.  If I power it off and connect then power it back up still nothing.  If I power it off, reselect the network, connect it, then power it up I get packets flowing. 

Am I missing a step somewhere?  Is this a known bug of any sort?  Anyone else seeing this?  NSX-T is 2.5.1, vCenter is 6.7.3, ESXi 6.7.0 build-15160138

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Looks like I might need to use this backing type I didn't realize was even there VcVirtualEthernetCardOpaqueNetworkBackingInfo().  This isn't a clone but still the behavior is similar to what that article is dealing with... probably just missing the vif which probably is a part of this backing info.  I'll have to mess around with it a bit more.  Probably reselecting/reconnecting the network shook it all out.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
xian_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Looks like I might need to use this backing type I didn't realize was even there VcVirtualEthernetCardOpaqueNetworkBackingInfo().  This isn't a clone but still the behavior is similar to what that article is dealing with... probably just missing the vif which probably is a part of this backing info.  I'll have to mess around with it a bit more.  Probably reselecting/reconnecting the network shook it all out.

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Using this backing type seems to have worked!

0 Kudos