VMware Cloud Community
orian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Clone from template without network

Hi,

I want to create a new workflow which do the followings tasks:

1. clone from a template (no network adapter is connected to the template)

2, add a new network adapter to the new virtual machine

3. run sysprep (config the network adapter, add to domain etc)

I find  the workflows which deal with cloning, but all of them begin with getting information about the network adapter of the template.

Therefor, when I try to use these workflows, I receive the error: Fault.NicSettingMismatch.Summary

Is there any other workflows that I can use in order to accomplish my task?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

the library workflows indeed expect the template to have at least one network adapter configured.

Can you change the template? (that might be the easier way to go 🙂 )

Alternatively:

Create a new workflow that just clones the VM, but does no customization (there might be some in the library), this hopefully works without network card on the template.

For adding the network use onyx to figure out what javascript logic is needed (not sure if there is a workflow for that in the library)

Check the "Customize VM" workflow(s) in the library for the sysprep parts (at this time the created VM should have a network)

Regards,

Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

the library workflows indeed expect the template to have at least one network adapter configured.

Can you change the template? (that might be the easier way to go 🙂 )

Alternatively:

Create a new workflow that just clones the VM, but does no customization (there might be some in the library), this hopefully works without network card on the template.

For adding the network use onyx to figure out what javascript logic is needed (not sure if there is a workflow for that in the library)

Check the "Customize VM" workflow(s) in the library for the sysprep parts (at this time the created VM should have a network)

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
orian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

I create the following workflow:

1. clone virtual machine, no customization

2. add network script (a script I have written which add a VMXNET3 network adapter)

3, Customize, windows with single NIC and credential.

In step 3 I receive the following error:

[2016-03-08 10:20:17.191] [I] Task 'CustomizeVM_Task' error: The operation is not supported on the object. (Dynamic Script Module name : vim3WaitTaskEnd#20)

any idea?

0 Kudos
orian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have a mismatch in the visual binding tab of the third workflow.

Now it changes all the parameters I have configured (computer name, admin password, time zone etc), but still no joining the domain.

I did not find any errors on the sysprep logs in the computer.

I can join the computer manually to the domain without any error.

Where can I look for the solution of this problem?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
orian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

I checked the netsetup.log which can be find in c:\windows\debug

From this log I understood that there is no need to add domain name before the user name in filed of the domain user account.

I wrote Domain_name\User_name.

the correct syntax is just User_name

0 Kudos