VMware Cloud Community
omrsafetyo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can we force Scheduled Workflows to run on multiple nodes?

So a bit of a dilemma.  We use the InfoBlox module with vRO (without vRA), which as I understand is not supported.  I suspect that vRA has some inbuilt mechanism for ensuring that InfoBlox connections are maintained - because with vRO every time the services are restarted, or the server is rebooted, you lose the InfoBlox IPAM Connection(s), and must re-run the Library > Infoblox > VRA  > Create Endpoint Connection workflow to reconfigure the workflow.

To accommodate this, we created a workflow that checks to see if a particular named InfoBlox IPAM connection exists, and if not, runs this workflow to configure it.  This works - if the server is reboot, or if the services are bounced, the next time this runs, it corrects the issue.  However, it came to our realization that this is only happening on the single node where the scheduled task runs - whereas the IPAM Connection is not persistent in the database, it also seems it is not synchronized across the nodes in the cluster.  So we had a workflow execute on one node - and it didn't have an IPAM connection, whereas the node where the workflow executed its token did have a connection (we determined where this ran based on the System.log logs - they were unavailable via the java client on one node, where the IPAM connection was missing, and available on the other where the IPAM connection existed).

So maybe there's a better question to be asking, but my question is: how do we ensure this scheduled workflow executes against every node in the cluster?  Or, can we synchronize the connection to all nodes in the cluster after the WF is executed to build the IPAM connection?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kenbradley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Put the endpoint checker workflow before each IPAM activity so it gets checked every time. No need for a schedule.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kenbradley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Put the endpoint checker workflow before each IPAM activity so it gets checked every time. No need for a schedule.

omrsafetyo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well that just might work.  So simple, why didn't I think of it?

0 Kudos
omrsafetyo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yep, I think that's what I'll do.  As of right now we call the built-in "Get IPAM connection" WF to get the IPAM connection to begin with.  We'll just replace all instances of that WF with this one.  If it finds an existing WF, it will call Get IPAM connection and return the result - if not, it will create the connection, and then return it.  That is a much more elegant solution, and doesn't rely on timing.  Thank you for simplifying this.

0 Kudos