VMware Cloud Community
DeepakPN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Calling external application's J2EE API from Orchestrator

I want to call operations on an external application. The external application has exposed J2EE API .

I am new to the orchestrator world. From what I understand , to call the operations of external application and to gain access to the objects of external application , I need to create a plug-in(specific to orchestrator format) first. Then I could call those operations from my workflow's  javascript code.

1. Am I missing something?

2. Is there any other way to call operations of J2EE Api of external application (without using plug-ins)?

3. Is there any way such that my workflow directly calls a java application ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Could you provide more details on the exposed J2EE API?

Creating a custom plug-in is the option that will give you the most flexibility. But if the application exposes REST or SOAP API, then you can use our generic HTTP-REST and SOAP plug-ins to wrap these API in vCO workflows/actions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Could you provide more details on the exposed J2EE API?

Creating a custom plug-in is the option that will give you the most flexibility. But if the application exposes REST or SOAP API, then you can use our generic HTTP-REST and SOAP plug-ins to wrap these API in vCO workflows/actions.

0 Kudos
DeepakPN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks @llian for your prompt reply.

I have a java application which is performing a task to generate reports.

This application has exposed an interface which I can call directly from another java application to execute report generation.

The same functionality of calling the interface to start executing report generation need to be developed through a workflow in  Orchestrator.

I could use SOAP/REST webservices for this operation but none of these webservices are exposed by the java application generating report.

So , I assume if webservices are not implemented , I am left with only one option of developing a plugin and using that application's functionality ?right?

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I'd recommend to try vCO plug-in SDK, which allows the user to generate plug-in from a Java library (.jar file)

Download links:

for 5.1 -> https://developercenter.vmware.com/web/dp/sdk/51/vco

for 5.5 -> https://developercenter.vmware.com/web/dp/sdk/55/vco

DeepakPN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again.. gonna try this now Smiley Happy

0 Kudos