VMware Cloud Community
timothy_riegert
Contributor
Contributor

Automating Snapshots Cleanup in vCO

I am having a problem automating vcenter snapshot cleanup using a vco scheduled workflow. My environment consists of vCAC--> vCO --> HPOO --> vCenter and back up the chain to vCAC. I'm having trouble using the "Remove Old Snapshots" workflow in vCO passing back a vcac system property to update an existing machines snapshots in vcac. The only thing that vCO has as outputs for this workflow are vCenter system properties which causes my users to still see existing machine snapshots in vcac even after they have been deleted.

A consultant who assisted in setting up the environment said the following when asked about converting a vco output vcenter variable into a vcac output variable.

"you have to use the api to find the value you want and may have to do a couple of conversions to get there  like you might vet .hostname  and then have to query vcenter to get the value you need...."

Does anyone know how to accomplish this or another way to accomplish automated snapshot cleanup? I have flexibility in how to execute this as long as their is transparency back to vcac to update machine snapshots that have been removed.

Thanks,

Timothy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Burke-
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is a known inconsistency between the snapshots in vRA vs. vCenter. Unfortunately, there is not a vRA API call available at this time to address the creation or removal of Snapshots. In addition to what you describe here, if you were to create a snapshot in vCenter, vRO, or anything that uses API calls to vCenter, you would not see that snapshot in vRA until you use the vRA interface to create another snapshot. I have been informed that the behavior I describe is being addressed so we should see a fix in a future release.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you!

Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator
for vRealize Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @TechnicalValues on Twitter
0 Kudos
wilber8222
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I used PowerCLI to create/delete snapshots. FYI.

Wu's Blog | How to Automate Snapshot on Virtual Machine

0 Kudos
wilber8222
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Burke‌,

Was it fixed in vRA 6.2.2? If so, where I can find the API details?

0 Kudos