VMware Cloud Community
kharding
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Annotations customValue

Hi,

I'm struggling to find out how to read and set the VirtualMachine customValue annotations.

As part of the provisioning workflow process I wish to set a Custom annotation called "Customer" with a value of whatever the customer name is. The attribute has already been created globally on the VC.

Can anybody point me in the right direction with accessing and modifying these values. I've been through the VMWare online help but cant make anything of it.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

there are workflows for that use case in the vCenter Plugin Library:

Library/vCenter/Custom Attributes/Add custom attribute to virtual machine

is the name of the workflow.

Cheers,

JoergScreen Shot 2014-07-15 at 14.25.45.JPG

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

there are workflows for that use case in the vCenter Plugin Library:

Library/vCenter/Custom Attributes/Add custom attribute to virtual machine

is the name of the workflow.

Cheers,

JoergScreen Shot 2014-07-15 at 14.25.45.JPG

0 Kudos
kharding
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Magic, thanks. I had been through the list of workflows and actions but somehow had totally missed to see these.:smileyconfused:

Works a treat.

0 Kudos
rszymczak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Btw, you should have a look at "tags" since - as far as I know "attributes" will no longer be supported with the release of vSphere 6. Tags will be displayed within the vSphere Web Client - attributes won't.

0 Kudos
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Actually, since there is no way to automate tags (I don't count the limited PowerCLI cmdlets), and it impacts your operating model (because tags are stored in Inventory Service, not in vCenter database, so you have to backup that, too, for instance), and tags are not a feature-equal replacement for attributes, I recommend to stick with the attributes until we (VMware) come up with a usable story where to store that sort of metadata.

Check this http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2014/02/vsphere-web-client-plugin-for-custom.html to get them into the vSphere Web Client.

Cheers,

Joerg