VMware Cloud Community
BrianFlanagan
Contributor
Contributor

vRO Script to allow promiscuous mode

Has anyone had luck with vRA/vRO 7.4 and the plugin to nested ESX hosts have the vDS switch set correctly for promiscuous mode?

Build Your Very Own VMware Hands-On-Labs! (with vRA and NSX) – Virtual Insanity

vRO just shows a unhelpfull error of "TypeError: Cannot call method "indexOf" of null (Workflow:vRA Provisioning - Prepare NSX On-Demand NAT Networks for nested ESXi traffic / Get dvPortGroups (item3)#18)"     everything else in the blueprint works.. the VM's get deployed, the NSX Edge gets created and the VM's can talk to each other fine except for the Hypervisior due to the promiscious mode issue.

I think it may because of the vRA/vRO subscription topic not being correct but I am not sure which topic is correct

The steps say to create some conditions which I do however the vRO workflow never fires right and im not sure where errors are logged

In vRA, browse to the Administration tab -> Events -> Subscriptions. Create and new subscription with the following conditions:

• “Any of the following”
    • Data > Component id = NSX Edge
    • Data > Component type id = Infrastructure.Network.Gateway.NSX.Edge
  • “All of the following”@
    • Data > Lifecycle state > Lifecycle state name = VMPSMasterWorkflow32.WaitingToBuild
    • Data > Lifecycle state > State phase = POST
0 Kudos
6 Replies
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

Ok how to read the message and get a better understanding of what is going on...

vRO just shows a unhelpfull error of "TypeError: Cannot call method "indexOf" of null (Workflow:vRA Provisioning - Prepare NSX On-Demand NAT Networks for nested ESXi traffic / Get dvPortGroups (item3)#18)"     everything else in the blueprint works.. the VM's get deployed, the NSX Edge gets created and the VM's can talk to each other fine except for the Hypervisior due to the promiscious mode issue.

What this is saying is you got a null value for something and it could not index a null value.  The failure should be the 3rd item in the workflow and line #18 (item3)#18).  Pull up the workflow and trace down which value is not getting populated.  This should at least get you pointed in the right direction and help you get a better understanding of the error messages

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
BrianFlanagan
Contributor
Contributor

thanks.. i found more logs in vRO -  What is throwing me off is that the NSX edge "Edge-test1-1d39e320-".device DOES exist and works normally so why vRO cant find it is where i have to dig more.

2018-06-05 15:53:07.968] [I] Looking for on-demand networks attached to NSX Edge 'Edge-test1-1d39e320-6bb3-4174-b20b-afddb6a57cd3'...

[2018-06-05 15:53:07.974] [E] Error in (Workflow:vRA Provisioning - Prepare NSX On-Demand NAT Networks for nested ESXi traffic / Get dvPortGroups (item3)#9) TypeError: Cannot call method "get" of null

[2018-06-05 15:53:08.022] [E] Workflow execution stack:

item: 'vRA Provisioning - Prepare NSX On-Demand NAT Networks for nested ESXi traffic/item3', state: 'failed', business state: 'null', exception: 'TypeError: Cannot call method "get" of null (Workflow:vRA Provisioning - Prepare NSX On-Demand NAT Networks for nested ESXi traffic / Get dvPortGroups (item3)#9)'

workflow: 'vRA Provisioning - Prepare NSX On-Demand NAT Networks for nested ESXi traffic' (0b8d121f-2c3e-4502-8d1b-04ad9d628deb)

0 Kudos
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

The first thing that comes to my mind is permissions.  Did you configure the connection using the default admin account you configured from the NSX install?

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
BrianFlanagan
Contributor
Contributor

for vRO?  Its the embedded install and I login using administrator@vsphere.local acct.  NSX endppoint all passes the test connection.

Ill check the vRO settings in vRA but I thought w/ the integrated install it just "worked" login wise.

0 Kudos
Montysinha
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem, it seems that the Payload that is being picked up from VRA does not contain the properites that the script is looking for, it is looking for they payload details "VirtualMachine.Network" + i + ".Address", but it cant pick it up.. below is the output of the Payload I am getting:

payload>machine

payload>machine> externalReference : vm-10884

payload>machine> id : bcf9bcc1-a77b-498c-b5cd-6f502fbd4962

payload>machine> name : Edge-DEV_VMwareHandsOnLab-dfe7e063-78e4-42aa-950c-2bd84dabb82a

payload>machine> owner :

payload>machine> type : 0

payload>machine
   payload>machine> externalReference : vm-10884
   payload>machine> id : bcf9bcc1-a77b-498c-b5cd-6f502fbd4962
   payload>machine> name : Edge-DEV_VMwareHandsOnLab-dfe7e063-78e4-42aa-950c-2bd84dabb82a
   payload>machine> owner : saursinha@au.deloitte.com
   payload>machine> type : 0
0 Kudos
MKiefer
Contributor
Contributor

Did you find a solution for this?

I am having the exact same issue, just in VRA 7.5.

0 Kudos