VMware Cloud Community
prestonville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRA Migration Tool

Has anyone used the vRA migration tool to go from exisiting production vra6.2 to a new production vra7.1?,  described here vRealize Automation 7.1 Information Center

It's basically seems a IAAS SQL database copy.

Questions

1. Does anyone have feedback on how easy this was for them.

2. There's no mention of copying the Postgress DB so i assume will need to do stuff like re-registering the VMs in vRA. What other problems could there be with a install only Postgres DB.

3. It will copy over the blueprints as in IAAS (SQL) but in vRA7 blueprints in CAFE so I assume I will have to recreate all blueprints.

4. vRA7 destination must be blank of all objects like network profiles etc.

Thanks, all feedback appreciated.

I'm doing it to a DEV 7 install first to try to find issues, also when I search for posts/blogs on the side by side migration there seems very little information.

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Michael_Rudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The more I read through it myself - the more I got confused so what I did instead was setting up vRA 7 from scratch making sure it looks and feels identical to 6.x and just imported the vRA 6 Managed machines into vRA 7 ...

___ My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com
0 Kudos
prestonville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree it doesn't read well. I want to do it as we have had vRA in prod for 2years and now have over 70 XAAS blueprints published (forms designer) and many business groups/reservations for dev projects. Recreating these would take a while. Problem with migration tool its a big bang cutover and certain stuff like the XML property dictionary relationships in blueprints need recreating as vRO workflows and "bound" to all recreated blueprints.

0 Kudos