VMware Cloud Community
schmitz3michael
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vRA 8.x disable vCenter Customization Spec

Hi,

I would like to disable the vCenter customization specs for a new Deployment and instead do my customization through a vRO workflow. I tried to set the property "customizationSpec: null" on the Cloud_vSpehre_Machine object in the Cloud Template, but it doesn't work.

Does anyone have an idea how to prevent vRA 8 from using the vCenter customization Specs?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
caduncan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Check your syntax. I think you want "customizeGuestOs: false" , rather than "null".

Also, are you using cloudConfig with cloud init? If so, this might offer some insight: vSphere static IP addresses in vRealize Automation Cloud Assembly (vmware.com)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
xian_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Do you use static IP assignment?

0 Kudos
carl1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Simply leave the line out.  vRA does not use customization spec to set the hostname and IP address (like vRA 7 did).  vRA 8 sets it directly so, unless you need to change the root password or auto-join to an AD domain, you can just delete your customizationSpec line.

Carl L.

0 Kudos
schmitz3michael
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@xian_, I use the static assignment

0 Kudos
schmitz3michael
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@carl1, I think that's not right.

I've tried to delete the customizationSpec parameter from Cloud Template, but then vRA creates a customization spec on demand when creating a deployment and pass it to vCenter Server.

0 Kudos
xian_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That's how static assignment is implemented.

0 Kudos
caduncan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Check your syntax. I think you want "customizeGuestOs: false" , rather than "null".

Also, are you using cloudConfig with cloud init? If so, this might offer some insight: vSphere static IP addresses in vRealize Automation Cloud Assembly (vmware.com)

0 Kudos
schmitz3michael
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This parameter "customizeGuestOs: false" is exactly what I need.

But now the deployment takes much longer then with a working Custom Spec. Is there a way to see what it's doing and why it takes so much more time?

If I look into the request details it tooks 20 minutes from POWERING_ON (Task 31: Provision Compute) to the next step. It looks like it is waiting for a timeout or something...The Deployment with Custom Spec finished this step im 1:30 minutes.

0 Kudos
xian_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Try awaitIp: false

See Special Cloud Assembly properties 

0 Kudos
schmitz3michael
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You guys are amazing, thank you so much for the quick help! 🙂

Now, the POWERING_ON Task just takes 1 second and my deployment is much faster. I've additionally set the parameter
awaitHostName: false, because I also set the hostname via a vRO workflow.

0 Kudos
rishabh19sachan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the suggestion. Actually, the solution of "customizeGuestOs: false" is working, but vRealize Automation (vRA) is taking longer than usual to complete the deployment. Are any of you aware of a solution to reduce the build time?

0 Kudos
Ankush11s
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@rishabh19sachan this should be different thread , going forward I would recommend you to open different if it is not matching with initial subject

for now solution would be, If you are using DHCP and network would wait for 30 minutes to discover IP , you can skip that using below property.

awaitIp: false

If this has resolved your problem , Please mark this thread as Resolved for other to quickly jump to solution.

0 Kudos