VMware Cloud Community
RebeccaW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRA 8.x - Display Owner by Name (not only username)

On version 8.8 now but wondering if someone on 8.10 or more can state if the Owner in the Deployments list still only lists the username.

Within the Project we can see the full name, however in Deployments both in the list view and when trying to Change Owner only the username can be used. In 7.6 we could use the person's name as well. The username's we have are numbers so it is a pain to look up each one to tell who the owner is.

The API still has the name so we've no issue with sending notifications, it is with readability of the UI that is a problem.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Czernobog
Expert
Expert

I don't think you can change that. Its either username or user principal name. I use the upn, since it is the easiest way to identify a user and is unique across domains. However, clients who use the vRA ui are sometimes confused, since in their domain the AD username is just a random string and not related to their actual name and surname. 

You can always fill in a feature request, honestly, when I think about it now, the should be the option to include a "Name, Surname" column in the Deployments view since release.

0 Kudos
RebeccaW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will look into a feature request. Deployments lists only the username. When doing a Change Owner the username has to be used as it will not search via name as 7.6 does. Copy\paste of the username doesn't work either unless you manually type the first character in which case you can paste the rest. If you just paste the whole username it comes up that nothing is found. Seeing the username is helpful in that we know who specifically it is in the case of similar names. However, losing the visual on the name makes it a bit slow (ie looking up that EMP1234 is Sally Smith). 

Projects, when adding members you can use name or username and the Display Name is shows in addition to the username. 

0 Kudos