VMware Cloud Community
BrettK1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRA 8.2 Migration - Single CIDR Network Limitation

https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Automation/8.2/vrealize-automation-transition/GUID-28DF7709-B754...

The vRA 8 Transition guide lists the following as a 'Network Limitation' for the Migration Assistant tool:

'You can only set one CIDR and only use the corresponding the IP ranges.'

First, what is this in reference to.  Is this talking about creation of Network Profiles, or something else?

Given we use MANY networks, does this mean I should create Network Profiles for all networks in use ahead of Migration?

We will not be using any IPAM integrations with vRA at this time - all deployments are either DHCP or set statically (currently via Custom Form input)

How does this affect Blueprints and Deployments that use CIDRs that do not match the 'one CIDR' set during Migration?  Given the large number of network segments we use, need to know the implications of this seemingly tiny line.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ArunKambivelu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

In 7.x, the IPAM details are specified via Network Profile. 

The linking of IPAM details and the network adapter is configured at the Reservation level. 

Now, same network adapter can be part of more than one reservation and you could use different network profiles that has different IP ranges.

IPAM details and network is loosely bound.

Whereas in 8.x , IPAM and network is tightly bound. You need to set the CIDR directly on the Network(Subnet). And the Ip ranges you specify for the subnet has to be based on the CIDR set.

The limitation was said in comparison to 7.x.

You don't need to pre-create anything before migration. 

Hope his clarifies.

0 Kudos
BrettK1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So you are saying the 'CIDR Network Limitation' is related to using the internal IPAM and Network Profiles?

The page referenced did not mention anything about those, and therefore I was quite concerned.  We currently do not use Network Profiles at all, as we have an external, non-integrated IPAM.  This would imply that I can safely ignore the CIDR limitation?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ArunKambivelu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes. You can ignore.