We are facing 2 problem about disk adding:
1) How can we add disks to a machine before provisioning and format them ? (Windows and Linux)
2) How can we do the same thing , but as a Day 2 Operation ? (Windows and Linux)
Note: for example on windows , we want the add task will add it to the machine , format them , assign letter, and will show on "my computer"
Is there any Built-in way to do this ?
Unfortunately, no, this is something you'll have to script via a variety of possibilities. I think the reason this functionality wasn't included was because there are so many different ways to use disk space which has been added that they left it open-ended for the customer to figure out.
You can use both if you ask me. Naja that is how we do it with our vRA.
It depends when you like to use the option/workflow "mount disk". You need to design you workflow like.
1. Workflow master workflow that will "add disk" (is also the workflow name) to the vc:virtualmachine object. And than using the guest script for mounting this disk.
2. And two wrapper workflows:
1. With for the EBS that translate the payload into the vc:virtualmachine. You need to use this workflow as pre/post of the provisioing state (VMPSMasterWorkflow32.MachineProvisioned)
2. A workflow wrapper that change the Day2 form into the master worflow. This one is easier to build because if oyu like to use Day2 actions it already the vc:virtualmachine object as input of the workflow.
Anyhow it is possible(already doing it since vra 6.2) but it needs some brainpower to build it. I hope my comments make it a bit clear for you:)