VMware Cloud Community
Ukusic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vRA 7.1 Disable Active Directory Policies on blueprint level?

Hi,

I coming from vRA 6.2 where we used to create AD-groups with workflows directly in build/provisioning state. Now in vRA 7.1 you can use Active Directory Policies so everytime i create a windows server it gets added to the OU of my chosing, thats great!

But you can only set this on Business Group level. My Business group are deploying both Windows and Linux servers and i dont want my Linux servers to get added to AD. First i thought you could skip setting it on the Business Group and just add it to the blueprint...but thats seems only to be for overriding. 

So, is there any way to maybe use a propterty to disable the Active Directory Policy on a blueprint level? Ive looked through the documentation but cant figure it out.

One business group deploying both windows and linux but only put windows servers i OU.

/best regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ukusic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the replys Grant!

Did some more tests and found the solution i needed.

1. Create a AD policy (/Administration/Create Active Directory Policies) 

Take note of the ID.

2. DONT select the policy in your Business Group config.

3. In the Blueprint or as you said, create a property group for it. Add the following single custom property.

"System property for the user-readable ID for the Active Directory policy."

ext.policy.activedirectory.system.id = <ID>

Now only my windows machines (that uses this blueprint) are added and deleted in AD.

So i created a policy and then i point at it with a custom property at blueprint level.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

It seems that you can override the policy (per vRealize Automation 7.1 Information Center).

I wonder if you could create a blank policy? I've not tried that.

Grant http://grantorchard.com
0 Kudos
Ukusic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am going to do some more testing and report back but i hope in future releases you can set this AD policy on blueprint level or something. I have all my users in one BG and i want them to deploy different types of machines, not all is windows and AD 😞

0 Kudos
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Well, you could consider setting up a Property Group with all the properties listed in my previous post.

The problem I see with setting this at a Blueprint level is that you would need to set it on each component, which is not all that friendly.

Grant http://grantorchard.com
0 Kudos
Ukusic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the replys Grant!

Did some more tests and found the solution i needed.

1. Create a AD policy (/Administration/Create Active Directory Policies) 

Take note of the ID.

2. DONT select the policy in your Business Group config.

3. In the Blueprint or as you said, create a property group for it. Add the following single custom property.

"System property for the user-readable ID for the Active Directory policy."

ext.policy.activedirectory.system.id = <ID>

Now only my windows machines (that uses this blueprint) are added and deleted in AD.

So i created a policy and then i point at it with a custom property at blueprint level.

0 Kudos