VMware Cloud Community
VIR2AL3X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRA 6.2 to 6.2.1 Upgrade - DBUgrade issue

Hi,

I am attempting to upgrade my vRealize Automation environment from 6.2.0 to 6.2.1 and am having an issue running the DBUpgrade scripts.  I've already updated the appliance successfully and am now at the part where I need to upgrade the DB prior to upgrading the IaaS components.  I believe my issue has to do with the fact that the dbname contains a "space".  Can anyone help me resolve this issue please?

Syntax:

**Note: I actually used elevated CMD prompt instead of PowerShell to run command.  Only showing PowerShell for larger window size.  Same end result with both methods.**

2015-03-14_20-02-57.png

Log:

2015-03-14_15-49-19.png

VMware Technical Support Request # 15623752703

0 Kudos
13 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

So Powershell and Command Prompt handle strings a bit differently, but I don't remember the differences. The documentation states that you should use command prompt, but says nothing about Powershell. Try it in command prompt, exact same command. Let me know if it works or not.

0 Kudos
VIR2AL3X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

mynameismevin - I simply used PowerShell for this picture to show the syntax as a single line in a larger window vs the smaller CMD prompt window.  But I have tried with both an elevated CMD window as well as an elevated PowerShell prompt with the same end result.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What version of Java is installed?

0 Kudos
VIR2AL3X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

mynameismevin - Java 7 Update 75 x64 as that is what is needed and supported.  Just an FYI - vRealize applications should be upgraded to support newer Java 8 version as version 7 will available only through mid-April 2015.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Strange. Keep working with your TSE, and he'll interface with our engineering group should it need to go that far. Our engineering group is aware of the availability for 1.7, but thanks for the mention. Smiley Happy I'm out of ideas for now, but if you could post the resolution when you're SR is resolved, I'll make sure it gets into a KB. Thanks!

0 Kudos
VIR2AL3X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

mynameismevin - OK sounds good, I will be sure to post a resolution once found.  Thanks much for your willingness to assist.

0 Kudos
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert

Edit:

Perhaps your DB needs to be in brackets?  Might be worth a shot...

Having a space tends to make things interesting... both for DBs and table names.

"[vRA DB]"

I guess...

Message was edited by: SeanKohler

0 Kudos
VIR2AL3X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SeanKohler - I have not tried this but I assume it would still fail as it wouldn't locate and connect to the DB as it would look for a name containing the bracket.  I will try it anyway though and will also try placing the brackets outside of the quotes.

0 Kudos
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert

Yeah... just tried it.  Neither osql or sqlcmd accept brackets while forming the DB connection.  Within queries (of course) it does for dbnames/tablenames that contain spaces.

Sorry no help there...

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

it seems we are not clear on the workaround for this problem.

maybe you can open ticket with vmware support.

0 Kudos
VIR2AL3X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

gradinka - Currently there is no workaround that's what I am trying to figure out.  Also, support request has already been raised.  Initial post has the VMware Technical SR # information.  :smileyinfo:Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
JihemmeT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try using simple quotes instead of double quotes, SQL and Transact SQL are using simple quotes if I remember well.

0 Kudos
VIR2AL3X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

JihemmeT - thanks for the suggestion but I've already tried that.  Single quotes nor brackets work as it then looks for those characters in the dbname.  The issue is not with connecting to the DB, it successfully connects.  It has to be somewhere in the script that gets executed which is treating the space as a switch. :smileyconfused:

0 Kudos