VMware Cloud Community
chandlerbing
Contributor
Contributor

vCAC 6 provisions and then deletes VM when requesting blueprint

Running vCAC 6 in a test environment.  Built a RedHat 6 Blueprint.  The Blueprint is a linkedClone.  When i request the blueprint I see the VM provisioned in vCenter.  The customization occurs and I see the hostname is updated with the name of the prefix and IP in network profile.  But after a few minutes the VM powers off and deleted.  In the request tab the status of the request is forever on "in-progress".  Where can i look to see what went wrong?  Also how can I kill this request - it's stuck in-progress status for over 24 hrs. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Check Infrastructure tab -> monitoring -> log

In order to see what went wrong during provisioning.

my bet is something went wrong with customization stage.

0 Kudos
zebduin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You need to know which provisioning phase (WF Stub) the provisioning failed during.  Rather than just looking at the items menu - watch and refresh from the Infrastructure - My Machines.

based on the provisioning phase (ie Customize Machine) you will at least know where to begin looking.,  The Recent events and logs will take you the rest of the way.

If you want to vCAC to not delete the VM upon a failure, so you can log into the VM to troubleshoot - then you can set dodeletes = false.  This will place the VM in a VRM deleted folder in vCenter.  This changes the default behavior and should only be used to troubleshoot and not bypass an error in the provisioning process:

1. Login to the vSphere Proxy Agent system, open a command prompt, and change directories into the program folder for the appropriate vSphere Proxy Agent (%SystemDrive%\Program Files (x86)\VMware\vCAC\Agents\agentName by default).
  2. Run this command: DynamicOps.Vrm.VRMencrypt.exe VRMAgent.exe.config set doDeletes false

Common culprits are (1) template misconfig - can you clone from template manually using the same customization spec - this may point out a networking misconfig or something similar?  (2)customization spec file

0 Kudos