VMware Cloud Community
barnette08
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

"vApp Network" Equivalent in vRA?

Hey all, I'm trying to deploy a blueprint that requires some of the VMs to be deployed with the same IPs over and over so I'd like to put them on (what in vCD would have been) a vApp type network.  I can't seem to find a similar construct in vRA where a virtual wire or port group gets deployed on demand for the specific blueprint.  I may end up having to use some sort of isolation concept in vRA?  Thoughts?

VM1 (Jump Host) - Public Network, vApp Network

VM2 - vApp Network

VM3 - vApp Network

VM4 - vApp Network

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
barnette08
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No worries, I figured it out.  Looks like the closest equivalent is to deploy a NAT network profile so that an edge and logical switch are deployed each time a blueprint is requested - so that the duplicates don't conflict.  I would have have thought just allowing an on demand logical switch would be far less complex but the NAT allows for more capability so maybe that's why the vApp Network was deprecated.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If they need the exact same IPs, why not just hard-code this in your blueprint and call it a day? Is that the only goal: Just ensure all VMs in a given blueprint get the same IPs (that you specify)?

0 Kudos
barnette08
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don’t want to attempt to assign IPs to any of the VMs on the backend network because for instance in the case of a storage virtual appliance the VM will get very cranky. Also, if blueprint 1 is deployed on a port group that already exists, and blueprint 2 is deployed into that same port group with the same IP addressing then of course there will be conflicts.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I guess I'd need to understand what your goals and requirements here are. If you need a blueprint to deploy N number of VMs with the same IP address, naturally this implies some constraints including no concurrent deployments to the same network and others. I'm sure there are ways around this, but I'd need a little more information about what you hope to achieve here.

0 Kudos
barnette08
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No worries, I figured it out.  Looks like the closest equivalent is to deploy a NAT network profile so that an edge and logical switch are deployed each time a blueprint is requested - so that the duplicates don't conflict.  I would have have thought just allowing an on demand logical switch would be far less complex but the NAT allows for more capability so maybe that's why the vApp Network was deprecated.

0 Kudos