VMware Cloud Community
sylvain82
Contributor
Contributor

deploying linked clone blueprint on different storage failed

Hello everybody,

I have created a linked clone blueprint on my vCAC 6 infrastructure and I have created 2 storage reservation policies. Basically, one on SATA drives and one on SAS drives.

My master VM which served to the blueprint creation is stored on SATA drives. I can deploy this blueprint on SATA drives (using the custom property :VirtualMachine.Disk0.StorageReservationPolicy) without any problems but when I specify my SAS StorageReservationPolicy, I get the following error message : "Request Failed: Machine maq-033: CloneVM : Failed to clone VM maq-033 : Cannot recommend placement for SDRS operation clone, reason code: storagePlacement".

I tried switching SDRS on manual mode, deactivating SDRS but I get the the same message.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Sylvain

0 Kudos
4 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

After you turned SDRS off you will need to run a data collection.

See if it fails even after that. Also, check the storage space once.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
muxx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can confirm that once the SDRS is off and data collection finished then it is possible to create linked clones across datastores.

Also make sure that you have set proper reservations - select only datastores. Not the datastore cluster.

0 Kudos
muxx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have MasterDatastore with master templates and Datastore Cluster for linked clones.

No matter if I select any Datastore within Datastore Cluster or whole Datastore Cluster, it is not possible to create linked clone across Datastores if SDRS is enabled on destination. It always fails with following error:

Request failed: Machine TestVM008: CloneVM : Failed to clone VM TestVM008 : Cannot recommend placement for SDRS operation clone, reason code: storagePlacement

If I move the master copy from MasterDatastore to Datastore Cluster and create new linked clone, it works.

If I move MasterDatastore to Datastore Cluster it again works.

Any idea what is wrong? Is it worth filling bug with vmware?

vRA Build 6.2.0-2299574

0 Kudos
rszymczak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Not sure if it's a bug or a feature but I'm also getting this with the latest build.

Seems that if the template you're (link-)cloneing from is placed on a SDRS cluster then that cluster has to be added to the reservation of the BG requesting the blueprint which is using this linked-clone.

It won't work if you select all the datastores of the SDRS cluster, you have to select the SDRS cluster resource itself in the reservation.

The error code tells you that vRA is unable to find a SDRS cluster for the SDRS-clone operation. However I think that this did work in other releases of vRA even if no SDRS was given to the BG.

Looking at the release notes of vRA 6.2.1 and 6.2.2 there has been some work on the SDRS integration in vRA. Seems that those "improvements" have side-effects on how vRA handles things. Thus, this might be a "feature" which looks like a bug if you're used to vRA 6.X.

0 Kudos