VMware Cloud Community
michaelbachmann
Contributor
Contributor

VRA 8.x Unregister VM

Hello!

Has anyone found a way to cleanly unregister machines in VRA 8.x so that they can be onboarded again?

Some other approaches in blogs suggest to delete the corresponding record of the resource in the PSQL database (dep_resource), but this leaves some dependencies and you can't onboard the machine again.

Thanks for reading.

Labels (1)
43 Replies
kurimargo
Contributor
Contributor

@raguirregp  Did your unregistered VM is listed now in vRA Virtual Machines Discovered list like is described in documentation?
I did Unregister for single machine deployment and it worked. But now VM is visible only in vCenter and not in vRA "All Resources" or "Virtual Machines" inventoy,

0 Kudos
emacintosh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I had a similar experience (SaaS).  I had a deployment that needed moved to a new project but that was greyed out for some reason (who knows).  Instead, I unregistered it so that i could re-oboard it directly to the right project.  But like you, it was gone from the vRA inventory after unregistering.  It did show up again after the next data collection cycle - at least, I think it was the next one, but our data collection seemed stuck or taking too long.

I would not have assumed that a registered vm was related to the inventory objects from a cloud account.  It would be nice to understand how all of this actually works and is connected, but i don't think vmware documents at that level for us.

0 Kudos
raguirregp
Contributor
Contributor

Good eye, I do not see that item once it is unregistered and I have waited for the inventory to update at least 2 hours.  Even in Onboarding it can't be found either.

0 Kudos
ronaldod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unregister VM works. Having attached disks to a VM. How to "unregister" these ? I could not find an option to this for attached disks on a VM.

0 Kudos