VMware Cloud Community
Flynch00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Specify Datastore VM Folder for additional clustered disks

Good morning guys !

First of all, please excuse my English !

I'm using Additional Disks object on my Cloud Template for which dimension (number of disk, size, and unitnumber) varies from a Array/properties input.

Here is the DIsk YAML part as described in my Cloud Template

AdditionalDisk:
    type: Cloud.vSphere.Disk
    ignoreChanges: true
    allocatePerInstance: true
    properties:
      capacityGb: ${input.diskComputed[count.index].diskSize}
      SCSIController: SCSI_Controller_0
      customUnitNumber: ${input.diskComputed[count.index].diskScsiBus}
      count: ${length(input.diskComputed)}
      vmAssociationId: ${input.diskComputed[count.index].vmId}

It works great, and so users can choose not to add additionals disks or to add 1 to X disks.

But when I try to update the deployment to add a new disk, the disk is well created in vRA and attached to the VM (full custom code that calls an Update operation on the deployment) but is always created on a new folder at Datastore root level. This is very annoying, especially for backup etc...

Did I miss something ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Flynch00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi guys,

So I finally managed to set disks in the folder of the VM on which they're attached to.

To do that, 2 properties are injected through a workflow executed when Disk Allocation event is triggered (just as every other property in every step).

These 2 properties are not described in documentation, but are used during a "normal" disk creation (with the native Day2 action).

customProperties = new Properties()
customProperties.vmFolderPath = vmFolderPath //FOR EXEMPLE "[DATASTORE] VMName01"
customProperties.useVmFolderForCreate = "true" //NOT A BOOLEAN

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Flynch00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good morning guys,

It seems that there is no options for now to manage the disk datastore path with a property.

However I found that the Event Topic "Disk Attach" can update 3 properties on a disk before to Attach : diskFullPaths, diskParentDirs and diskNames. I've tried to update these 2 values but nothing change. It's like vRA do nothing.

Does anybody have more information about this particular topic ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Ankush11s
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

why don't you use add a disk Day 2 task instead of update deployment 
Add a disk allows you to choose the VM folder 

0 Kudos
Flynch00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi ! Thanks for your message.

Because the vRA 8 TF engine doesn't allow to scale-out deployment with Additional Disks (or whatever the object type is) not specified in the YAML CT !

If I do that, an then try to Scale-Out de deployment, the additional disks will be destroyed...

But anyway, I think I've found the solution ! I'll be back soon to share it.

0 Kudos
Flynch00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi guys,

So I finally managed to set disks in the folder of the VM on which they're attached to.

To do that, 2 properties are injected through a workflow executed when Disk Allocation event is triggered (just as every other property in every step).

These 2 properties are not described in documentation, but are used during a "normal" disk creation (with the native Day2 action).

customProperties = new Properties()
customProperties.vmFolderPath = vmFolderPath //FOR EXEMPLE "[DATASTORE] VMName01"
customProperties.useVmFolderForCreate = "true" //NOT A BOOLEAN

0 Kudos