VMware Cloud Community
legioon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to release the changed IP address after deploying the VM.

Hi All,

I have deployed a virtual machine on vRA with 10.12.14.24 IP address. After the deployment I have changed the IP address as 10.12.14.15 by updating the deployment.

2.jpg

I can see that the IP address has been changed on the deployment but on the networks tab on Cloud Assembly , old IP address appears and I can not release that. How can I release this IP ?

1.jpg

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
willian-wrcs
Contributor
Contributor

I also have the same scenario. I can not make the release of the IP. The option is grayed out. Unavailable.
The VM is powered off. I use version 8.8.

Screenshot_1.png

0 Kudos
Ankush11s
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If the IP is in allocated stage , that means it is assigned to vRA VM . we can not release the IP which is allocated to object in vRA.
Once you remove the VM , it will come in release status according to time which is set , by Default it is 30 mins , we can change the time from 30 mins to user defined time too so that IP will be released quickly .

legioon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have changed IP address on vRA by using "Update" option. Normally, I expect that vra to change IP address on the networks. This is production VM and how can say to people that they need to remove their VM ? 🙂 

Ankush11s
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

do you see the updated address in Deployment ? and do you see reference to this IP to VM in IP address in Infrastructure tab ?

0 Kudos
legioon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I can see new IP address at everywhere in the deployment. Even if I can use my VM with new IP address, I need to release old IP address. Because I want to assign this ip address to another vm. I want to make sure whether it is able to force release this ip via REST API or Database somehow.

0 Kudos
Ankush11s
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would suggest you to open GSS SR request , may need to look deeply 

0 Kudos
SaravananS1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

were you able to figure this out? 

0 Kudos
legioon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately no. Do you know any method?

0 Kudos
SaravananS1
Contributor
Contributor

No, not really. I had hoped you would have figured it out. 

0 Kudos
legioon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I guess, I found a solution;

I connected to vRA usign SSH and connected to postresql DB using vracli dev psql provisioning-db command.

When you run SELECT * FROM ipaddress_state; command, you can see the all ip addresses reserved on vRA...

Then, I found ip addess id I want to remove and ran this command DELETE FROM ipaddress_state where id='ipaddress_id';

When I checked onVRA, I saw that this IP address was deleted.

I did this work in my test environment, I will adapt it in the production environment, but I think it will work. At least this is the best alternative for now. What we can't do in the interface, we'll have to do it through the DB.

Don't run this process without analyzing the effects on your environment.

SaravananS1
Contributor
Contributor

I actually did this in a prod environment in 7.x where the table name was something like staticIPV4.. but when I connected to the provisioning-db, I wasn’t able to find a table name with IP address in it. Looks like I have missed it then 🙂 This should work. I reverted the vRA appliance to an earlier state through backup in my case as I had few other issues related to onboarding as well. 

0 Kudos