VMware Cloud Community
kallischlauch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Business group users can't share their IaaS items (only move). Create BG for each service?

Hey all,

if I have for example 1 department that deploys 3 different services.

10 users are responsible for exchange environment, another 10 (other) users for lets say sharepoint and the next 10 for databases.

If user1 deploys an exchange server, user2 can't access it. it won't be listed in a 2nd users items list). I was hoping a 2nd entitled user could reconfigure, take snapshots, open console etc (in case user one is gone)

I found user1 can move the deployment to another user: (change owner). But it's not possible to share (like in vCloud director)

change_owner.png

I found that the 'support user' can manage other users machines. Which is great so I could make it granular and even have mailbox server support users and edge server support users if I wanted to do something like this.

My question is what do other people do? Do you create a BG for each service? or do you create a BG for each department and BG users and support users for each service?

Are there limitations on the amount of business groups I can create? I couldn't find any reference?!

Kalli

1 Reply
skoch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

All of my customers so far have chosen to have a business group for each department and then they add their users and select support staff that will be able to provision and/or manage the deployment within that group.

You're right that not being able to share access to a VM is less than ideal. In your case individual business groups for each service might end up being the best option. I haven't seen a limit on business groups either. Just remember that you'll need a separate reservation for each business group which can make the environment more complex to manage.