VMware Cloud Community
Speed_Racer12
Contributor
Contributor

ASD unable to reference external actions

With 6.2, there was functionality added to make external calls to actions in orchestrator to populate fields based on this code.  With an external 6.0 vRO appliance, this fails every time with the error, "Failed to retrieve form from provider"

Anybody seen this or have a workaround?

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
10 Replies
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert

Hmmm... I am using this functionality successfully, but we didn't make the plunge to vRO 6.0.  (waiting for upgrade path that doesn't require a KB article and an ISO mount... or appliance rebuild)  We are on 5.5.2.1 (distributed) and the external form functionality from vRA 6.2 works okay.  I had to use it in one or two places where vRO presentation functionality wasn't translating well.

Due to how we are operationally organized, I really prefer the vRO presentation side capabilities which at least up until now have been able to translate into vRA.  So we create "Action" calls via OGNL in the presentation side of vRO to run various data look ups... as well as leverage show/hide/validate fields on the presentation side of vRO.  It has made form creation easier on the vRA side, and allowed teams to work on their own vRO workflows and forms that then can be leveraged up in vRA ASD with minimal effort.  For our sake, I am really hoping they continue to support this capability as they extend direct calls to actions from the form fields in vRA.

I am sorry I don't have an answer for you specifically, but I do appreciate you posting this as it causes me to be a little more weary at moving to vRO 6.0 until that is worked out.

Good luck and please let us know if you get it working.

Cheers,

Sean

0 Kudos
contregm
Contributor
Contributor

In 6.1, I had severl vRO presentation action calls that worked fine.  My problem now is that they no longer work and if I try to call the action directly from vRA 6.2, the catalog request will not start and I get the error, "Failed to retrieve form from provider".  Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert

Ouch.  That is frustrating.  It sounds to me like a vRA 6.2 to vRO 6.0 thing.  I assume you are both are also using the vRA 6.2 plugin in vRO?

In our present configuration, vRA 6.2 with VCO 5.5.2.1 and VCAC 6.1 plug-in, everything is working as advertised more or less.

I think there probably needs to be a hotfix released: relative to your deployment.  I find it rather unlikely that it would be a "configuration" issue since more than one person is experiencing the same issue.

0 Kudos
Speed_Racer12
Contributor
Contributor

We are using the preview version of the 6.2 plug-in because the originally shipped version does not work.

0 Kudos
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert

Any updates here?  Hofixes, new releases, etc that have fixed the issues you faced with external action references?

0 Kudos
JamesMW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
Speed_Racer12
Contributor
Contributor

Support is still researching the issue.  There is a ticket open with engineering, but no solution yet.

0 Kudos
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert

No that is something else that is also an issue (which is making me weary to jump on the 6.2 plugin bandwagon).

This is an ASD to vRO external actions issue... a new capability in vRA 6.2 that actually works with the 6.1 vCAC plugin on vCO 5.5.2, but it doesn't work with vRA 6.2 and the vRA 6.2 plugin on vRO 6.0.

Thanks for linking that issue in this thread, however.  Both concern me.

0 Kudos
Speed_Racer12
Contributor
Contributor

No, that is a separate issue.  I can't call any actions with the new 6.2 ASD external call feature.

0 Kudos
Speed_Racer12
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, Sean is right.  This is what I am referring to.

0 Kudos