VMware Global Community
tayseer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmx file is not a valid virtual machine configuration file

Hi

I am getting the same error...Attached are my log files...please help..

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In case it's simply the configuration (.vmx) file which is corrupt, you can re-create it from the VM's latest vmware.log. Please see HowTo: Recreating a .vmx from the vmware.log file

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

From the log it looks like you are using a very old version of VMware Player (4.0.4 from 2012).

The current release of VMware Workstation Player is version 14.

The CPU that you have is i3-3110M (Ivy Bridge generation with VT-x/EPT). From the log, the bit 5 on MSR 0x485 is 1 so that means it supports the VMX Unrestricted Guest.

2017-10-19T15:47:35.220+03:00| vmx| I120: Common: MSR 0x485 =    0x100401e5

The VMX Unrestricted Guest feature of Intel CPUs is now required with version 14.

From the log it looks like the machine you have is running low on available disk space.

It looks like that machine you have is also running very low on available disk space.

2017-10-19T15:47:49.148+03:00| vmx| I120: Vix: [8188 mainDispatch.c:4106]: Error VIX_E_DISK_FULL in VMAutomation_ReportPowerOpFinished(): An error occurred while writing a file; the disk is full. Data has not been saved. Free some disk space and try again

So free up disk space first.

Suggest you uninstall VMware Player 4.0.4, reboot (to ensure all services are removed).

Download Workstation Player version 14 and install it.

If you are not keen on using the newest version (14), you can download 12.5.7.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In case it's simply the configuration (.vmx) file which is corrupt, you can re-create it from the VM's latest vmware.log. Please see HowTo: Recreating a .vmx from the vmware.log file

André

0 Kudos
tayseer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much that it works now

0 Kudos
tayseer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution