ak_v
Contributor
Contributor

"Host hardware voltage" on ESXi host

Jump to solution

Hi, there.

We have a host where an alarm "Host hardware voltage" is triggering regularly:

pastedImage_4.png

The trigger executes when the value of the "System Board 45 PVNN PCH" sensor is above 1.05 Volts:

pastedImage_3.png

I've checked IPMI sensors on the motherboard and they seem alright:

pastedImage_5.png

As we can see the related sensor "PVNN PCH" is within critical thresholds. Supermicro says nothing about this sensor. At least I didn't managed to find this information.

Also I didn't find at the official Intel chipset documentation "Intel C620 Series Chipset Platform Controller Hub (PCH)" what does this sensor mean, but I found out at "Intel 9 Series" the following table:

pastedImage_7.png

As far as I understood, according the article "Inaccurate Monitoring and Health Status seen in vSphere Web Client, vSphere Client, or vCenter Serve...", VMWare retrieves values of Voltage sensors via IPMI. The article also says:

Some information available from the hardware vendors may be incorrectly or incompletely displayed in the VMware Infrastructure (VI) Client, vSphere Client, VirtualCenter, or vCenter Server.

I had decided to update IPMI and BIOS, but unfortunately it didn't help.

Did anyone run into this problem? Can we ignore the alert? May be there is a misconfiguration at BIOS parameters or somewhere else. Is any way to check/adjust this parameter (or related to this parameter) there?

Configuration:

OS

ESXi = 6.7.0, 14320388

VTC = 6.7.0.42000

Platform

Manufacturer = Supermicro

Model = X11DPH-i

CPU = 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4114

IPMI and BIOS

IPMI = 01.71.11

BIOS = 3.3

LocationThe host is located in a data center with several ones. We don't have problems with cooling or power supply and other hosts are fine.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ak_v
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, there.

The problem was solved via reset configuration to default:

• IPMI
    1. Maintenance → Factory default

2. Select second option "Remove current settings and restore to factory default"

3. Restore

• BIOS
    • Supermicro recommends unplug a VBAT battery from a motherboard and plug it in.

• At least there is a sense to reset BIOS remotely via IPMI.

Reset the IPMI is pretty safe because the network configuration will be preserved.

• Login and password will be reset to default ones:
    • Login = ADMIN
    • Password = ADMIN

Thanks for Supermicro and VMWare support Teams.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ak_v
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, there.

The problem was solved via reset configuration to default:

• IPMI
    1. Maintenance → Factory default

2. Select second option "Remove current settings and restore to factory default"

3. Restore

• BIOS
    • Supermicro recommends unplug a VBAT battery from a motherboard and plug it in.

• At least there is a sense to reset BIOS remotely via IPMI.

Reset the IPMI is pretty safe because the network configuration will be preserved.

• Login and password will be reset to default ones:
    • Login = ADMIN
    • Password = ADMIN

Thanks for Supermicro and VMWare support Teams.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos