VMware Global Community
ulisesg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Essential Plus Licensing Question

I want to know if I could make a cluster with 2 host (SAN Storage) and the other host (with local storage) to make a BackUP Server using Veem Backup and Replication, and for a Disaster Recovery Site, using Raid 10 HDD.

Another question is we could have a significant difference between 7.2K or 10K SAS HDD for these configuration.

Thanks for your answers.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The Essentials Kit includes licenses for 3 hosts (with up to two CPUs), and it's completely up to you how you set them up. You can use Veeam B&R to replicate all VMs to the third host, if it has sufficient resources available.

For the disks it actually depends on whether these are SAS, NL-SAS, or SATA disks (regarding IOPS), and also on the RAID controller that they are connected to. Make sure that you use a RAID controller with a BBU/BBWC, i.e. one that offers write-back caching. This makes a huge difference in performance.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The Essentials Kit includes licenses for 3 hosts (with up to two CPUs), and it's completely up to you how you set them up. You can use Veeam B&R to replicate all VMs to the third host, if it has sufficient resources available.

For the disks it actually depends on whether these are SAS, NL-SAS, or SATA disks (regarding IOPS), and also on the RAID controller that they are connected to. Make sure that you use a RAID controller with a BBU/BBWC, i.e. one that offers write-back caching. This makes a huge difference in performance.

André

0 Kudos
ulisesg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much for your answer.

0 Kudos