VMware {code} Community
esj
Contributor
Contributor

some accessibility assistance needed

I use speech recognition (not by choice but out of necessity) and I would like to be able to dictate into the VM workstation window. The first need is to just be able to dictate plaintext into the currently active window inside the virtual machine. Second would be to change the taskbar of workstation to reflect the currently active application within the virtual machine (this lets me automatically switch grammars inside of NaturallySpeaking). And third would be figuring out how to get to gnome at-spi but that's a longer term issue. today, if I'm going to dictate into applications on the virtual machine, I need to connect via putty, forward X11 connections back to my Windows desktop and then run the application. It's fragile, it's uncomfortable, and quite frankly, gets a bit confusing when you have a half a dozen putty sessions with various X11 applications floating about.

I suspect that there is some API that will let me take output from NaturallySpeaking and shove it into the virtual machine. It would've been nice if they could have just taken straight keystrokes from NaturallySpeaking but apparently it grabs the keyboard stack lower far below that of NaturallySpeaking's hook. Appreciate any pointers.

thanks.

0 Kudos
0 Replies