VMware {code} Community
MartinCartwrigh
Contributor
Contributor

slow performance running CopyFileFromHostToGuest()

Is there any update on the speed issues with using CopyFileFromHostToGuest()?

Using vmrun on a linux (Fedora release 10) server I have found that copying ~70MB files to machines can take nearly an hour. Interestingly to a Windows guest the file transfers take around 30 seconds, but to a linux guest the file times are around 55 minutes.

I've seen a couple of old threads discussing this sort of issue, with no real resolution. A suggested workaround is to instead map a network drive, but we need to copy files to targets with no external networking, which is why we turned to the VIX API.

many thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dblock
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, it's very slow and it's a known issue. Read this.

0 Kudos
MartinCartwrigh
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. Yes, I read that, but I don't see how that helps when we are dealing with a machine with no external networking ? We are trying to use VIX to get around the case where we can't use normal networking to access the machine, during an establishment of services for example.

0 Kudos
dblock
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, it doesn't help you. VMWare has known about this issue for a long time, but obviously it must not be that easy to fix.

0 Kudos
Eiq
Contributor
Contributor

I just upgraded to VMware® Workstation 14 Pro 14.1.1 build-7528167 and copyFileFromHostToGuest is still running extra slow. LMAO why do we even upgrade this soft ?

0 Kudos