VMware {code} Community
jchatham
Contributor
Contributor

What to do about VIX_POWERSTATE_BLOCKED_ON_MSG?

So, I've got a VM that almost always asks a question when I try to revert it (or power it on, for that matter). I can see how I can detect this power state - set up a polling loop instead of calling VixJob_Wait - but I haven't been able to find any way to actually get or answer the question within the VIX API.

The details: I'm using VMware Server 2 rc1, running on an Ubuntu host. The VM in question has a serial port mapped to a pipe file. The pipe file doesn't get deleted if the VM is shut off suddenly - such as when it's being reverted. So, any time I try to programatically revert the machine, my program hangs.

If I manually log in to the web management interface (while my program is still hanging), I get the question: "msg.serial.pipe.posix.bind.open:A virtual serial port (serial0) is trying to connect to pipe "../../.WKS02.socket", which already exists. Another virtual machine may be running as a server for this pipe. What do you want to do?" - and when I manually answer this, the VM finishes reverting and my program completes as expected.

How can I automate discovering and answering this question? (Discovering is important, because while this is the most common stuck state I encounter, there are others that I know I need to be able to deal with without manual intervention.)

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jhoagland
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know of a way to do this in VIX, but you can do it using VMPerl

Here's some code (no warrenties) that tries to do it:

use VMware::VmPerl::VM;

use VMware::VmPerl::ConnectParams;

use VMware::VmPerl::Question;

sub unstick

{