VMware {code} Community
Sloth77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vix 1.15.1 vmrun "start" "nogui" fails with "The operation was cancelled" on non-commercial VMware Player

Hi,

I've been using "vmrun" for some time now to launch my VM non-interactively using VMware Player under the non-commercial license.  I normally launch my VM with:

vmrun start my-vm.vmx nogui

I recently upgraded to VMware Workstation Player 12.0.1 and VIX 1.15.1.  Now when I try to start it using VIX 1.15.1, I get the following error output:

Error: The operation was cancelled.

When I look in the VMware log, I see the following text:

2015-11-05T17:39:45.687Z| vmx| I125: [msg.License.no_valid_license_see_website] Cannot find a license key to unlock this version of VMware Workstation.
2015-11-05T17:39:45.687Z| vmx| I125+ Go to our web site at "http://vmware.com/info?id=27&build=3160714" to obtain a valid license key.
2015-11-05T17:39:45.687Z| vmx| I125: ----------------------------------------
2015-11-05T17:39:45.696Z| vmx| I125: LICENSE no valid one found
2015-11-05T17:39:45.696Z| vmx| I125: Module 'License' power on failed.

However, I have already completed the license dialog box shown when VMware Player was first launched, and provided my email address.  Launching VMware Player no longer how the license dialog and the application operates fine.

If I execute the "vmrun" command with the "gui" argument instead, it starts VMware Player propertly and my VM runs fine.   However, I don't *want* the VMware Player interface to appear - the VM is a server VM.

Is this change intentional or a bug?

TIA,

James Bray

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sloth77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

*sigh*

Well that was a waste of money.  It seems that even after ponying up for and applying the "commercial" license, it *still* fails to start the VM with "nogui" and *still* shows the same license error in the log file.

Well, at least I have complimentary support.....

0 Kudos
vmonlinux
Contributor
Contributor

I too am unable to run the "nogui" option. Did you ever get a resolution to this problem?

0 Kudos
Sloth77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

‌Apparently, one workaround is to upgrade to Workstation Pro 12 as it doesn't suffer from the same issue.

Other than that they say they're working on a fix and it'll be available in a later update.

0 Kudos
Sloth77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As a final update - the latest VIX 1.15.2 fixes the "nogui" launch issue.
0 Kudos
vmonlinux
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the update.

0 Kudos