VMware {code} Community
fixitchris
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMware Server 2.0 Backups (VIX 1.6.2 only)

Vix_Virtuozo_Suite enables domain-wide cold and hot backups of your guests. Windows and Linux (SAMBA required) Server 2.0.x host OSs are supported.

Linked is the current build of Vix_Virtuozo_Suite x86. The installer will install a Windows Service and provide GUI to configure the service options.  Windows x86 and 64bit are supported.

All feedback and suggestions are welcome.

Service GUI

1a.JPG

Guest GUI

guest.JPG

Live Backup Status

stat.JPG

Subscribe to this thread's email notification to receive updates on bug fixes.

Troubleshooting notes:

• VIX API 1.6 is required for this software to function. 

• VIX_Virtuozo_Service Windows Service must log on as a user with permission to create a custom Event Log as well as have access to protected shares (CIFS) defined throughout the configuration of each host and guest.

• SAMBA is required for VMware hosts running Linux.

• VIX 1.7 is NOT stable to work with Server 2.0!

_Download January 21, 2010 Release_

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
183 Replies
beachcomp
Contributor
Contributor

Yes!

Thank you for making a great product that has been needed for so long.

Cant' wait to see you add more to it like more felixible scheduling and revisioning.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
joekwondo08
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I am having an issue backing up 5 guest servers using this backup utility at a client. Basically what looks like is happening is the backup's start fine at 11am, but continue until 11am, and at that point, the snapshot merges and takes the server offline temporarily. I was wondering if you knew a way of scheduling this backup to backup 1 server per day or maybe once a week on the weekend? If you could give me some ideas of how I can schedule these a little better that would be very great.

Otherwise, great program, we've implemented it at a few other clients and it works flawlessly.

0 Kudos
fixitchris
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Currently the only way to have multiple schedules would be to manipulate the registry manually and restart the virtuozo service after you do so. Otherwise I would have to rewrite a good portion of the software for which I don't have time right now. I could also put the source on codeplex if you feel like doing it yourself.

But manipulating the registry could work pretty good. I don't have a config in front of me so if you want to send me yours: chris@sync-io.net I could tell you what needs to be done. Basically HKLM\software\vix_virtuozo\StartTime takes a daily backup start time in 24 hr format (00:00 - 23:59). Then the other subkeys contain the hosts and guests, each one having an 'ignore' flag. Lets say you have 1 host and 5 guests. You want to back each guest on a different schedule. So you export the registry key 5 times. Modify each reg file's start time to the time you want. Then set the ignore flag on the 4 guests you don't want backed up. Create 5 scheduled tasks. Each task would : 1. import the registry file for the specific guest, 2. restart the virtuozo service. When virtuozo restarts it will read the registry, take the new start time. When that time comes it will start the backup process and it will see that 4 out of the 5 guests are ignored so it will only back up 1 guest. Each guests copy progress is also written to the registry so you can use that to time your scheduled tasks. You don't want the virtuozo service restarting during the middle of a backup. Makes sense?

So your issue is that the backup runs for 24 hours straight? The guest or the host is taken down temporarily? Can you send me the event log for a couple cycles along with your config? (events are only written when 'write to event log' and 'debug' are checked).

- chris

0 Kudos
joekwondo08
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion. I think the backup problem is more of a buggy VM install rather than an issue with your app. I am exporting the registry settings like you said and just backing them up 1 per week. Looks like a good fix. Thanks for the update!

0 Kudos
fixitchris
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Cool. Can you share with us what you did? I would like to add this scheduling method to this post.

0 Kudos
davidjmac
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am having trouble with getting the program to run. I have a 64bit Win2008 host running 3 32bit Win2003 guests. Given the problems i have seen with 64bit i am running Vix_Virtuozo on a 32bit Windows Storage Server which is the destination for the backups. The WSS is logged in as domain admin, the service has domain admin rights. The backup appears to run but no files are created and no error log is written to the WSS. The SMTP does work and gives me;

Service Manager

Backup operations triggered at service level.

184610456842 ticks

66096 ms

Host 192.168.0.232

Disconnecting : True

LastError : None

59459197700 ticks

21288 ms

Service Manager

Backup operations finished.

59614345504 ticks

21343 ms

The setup appears to work as per the manual, i can connect to the host and guests from the UI on the WSS. I have attached the .reg file with the domain password blanked out. Any ideas?

Regards, David

0 Kudos
fixitchris
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi.

Looking at your config, host 192.168.0.232 has the ignore checkbox checked. Also, go into the service settings and check Debug and Write to EventLog. Debug has to be checked for the service to write to the eventlog.

0 Kudos
davidjmac
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, that worked perfectly. My only problem now (and it may be by design) is that some of my VM's are quite big and span 2 VMDK's. The only VMDK that is copying over is the newer 00001 element, how do i get both? Or should i just manually backup the other part becuase that doesnt change?

Regards, David

0 Kudos
fixitchris
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In the VM options screen, do you see all the disks ? Have you selected each one and set it's properties?

Can you post the contents of the VM folder with the file sizes?

Also, what is the disk type?

Chris

0 Kudos
davidjmac
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chris,

I might have been confused. I cold have sworn there were files such as Win 2003 Small Business Server-000001.vmdk and simply Win 2003 Small Business Server.vmdk but look both on the host and the backup directory they now appear the same. It may have been a snapshot. The largest size if 35GB and the disk types are Persistant, Single file, Not preallocated and Optimised for perfomance.

Cheers, David

0 Kudos
pompomJuice
Contributor
Contributor

I have set everything up, all lights are green systems go but the backup just does not start.

What am I doing wrong?

This vmware vix business is a kindof a mystery. Do we need to install it on the vmware server (which is linux) and the backup machine with virtuozo? I installed the latest vmware vix. Could that be the problem? all lights are green and I have running software that is a year old.

0 Kudos
fixitchris
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VIX 1.6.2 needs to be installed on the machine running the Virtuozo service. It does not need to be on every VM host. It must be 1.6.2.

Post your configuration (Right click top node and select export configuration) and any event logs (enable event logging by checking 'Write to Eventlog' and 'Debug' in the Local Service Options).

0 Kudos
pompomJuice
Contributor
Contributor

I did as you said, installed the old vix 1.6.2, same deal.

Everything is green but no backups and I have checked the ignore flag.

Attached is my config.

0 Kudos
fixitchris
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sorry, I didn't get a email notification about your post.

So your vmware 2.0 box is linux?

Can you send me the event log from the box running virtuozo service?  I haven't done much testing backing up from a linux box, but it did work with samba installed.

Send it to chris at sync-io d0t net.

0 Kudos
barkster
Contributor
Contributor

When I try to backup to an HP Mediavault share which has no login/permissions on it I get the following error

Service is running as SYSTEM.  This account does not have access to remote resources!

Any way to fix this? I can't give system permission to it, not an ntfs share/drive.  Thanks

0 Kudos
fixitchris
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Run the service as a windows/domain user.  When running as SYSTEM the service cannot access any network devices.

0 Kudos
beachcomp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi folks,

The download link seems to be down.

Anyone have a mirror of the latest version?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
fixitchris
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I fixed up the link.

0 Kudos
beachcomp
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very mcuh for a great product.

Are there any further dev plans (enabling defrag & shrink) or is it just about done?

0 Kudos
fixitchris
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think it is done.

I can provide the source code if anyone would like it.

0 Kudos