VMware {code} Community
Will33
Contributor
Contributor

VMRUN error - unable to execute VMRUN commands

Hello all,

I recently just downloaded and installed a copy of VMWARE Workstation V.6.5.1 and quite new at using it.

I encountered a problem when trying to run a VMWARE instance using the DOS command line.

The error I received was:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware VIX>vmrun -T ws start "D:\VM\VM_WORKSITE_AD\Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.vmx"

Error: Cannot open VM: D:\VM\VM_WORKSITE_AD\Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.vmx, Cannot read the virtual machine configuration file

I have googled and tried all sorts of possible solutions:

- Checked if the configuration file was corrupted (was not).

- Added the VMWARE Workstation program directory in the System PATH variable

- Added in the config files the parameter "msg.autoAnswer = TRUE".

- Tried the vmrun start path-to-configfile.vmx nogui option

- Have checked the permission accessibility options

Seems the only vmrun command I could execute was "vmrun list" and all the others (such as stop/start) keep yielding the same error message.

However I was able to run the VM session if I directly went to the .VMX directory and double-clicked the icon.

I would really appreciate it if anyone can explain to me what exactly is the problem and how I can fix it?

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Will33
Contributor
Contributor

To Sankar,

Here is the vix log file:

0 Kudos
Will33
Contributor
Contributor

To Sankar,

Here is the vixWrapper log file:

0 Kudos
Will33
Contributor
Contributor

To Sankar,

Here is the VMX file:

0 Kudos
stanguturi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ok. Few questions and few suggestions.

Questions:

Did you create this VM on your machine or copied from another Box?

If you copied the VM from another box, with which workstation version did you create the VM?

Suggestions:

Remove the first line " .encoding = "Shift_JIS" "in the .vmx file that you uploaded. Run your vmrun. Update the bug if you still hit any issue.

-Thanks

Sankar.

0 Kudos