VMware {code} Community
stuartp44phil
Contributor
Contributor

PowerCLI Shortcomings or my lack of knowledge?

I am just putting out there and hope that someone can put to rest an issue we seem to face. We have recently converted from the forbidden VMRun to PowerCLI and this has allowed us to upgrade from vSphere/ESXi 6.0 to 7.0. It has been a hard and long process to de-bundle a lot from VMRun as we are a heavy user of the API's of vSphere more than the UI, as we develop software on it and mainly use it to test builds. So far, most things in the migration have gone well. However, there is one item that we have had to put in a large scale waste work around to overcome. It is causing API drama's as we have to do a lot of queries get the information we want. When running program in guest, we used to invoke it and then wait until it's finished and read its exit code all from the command line in one line. PowerCLI seems to behave in fire and forget, so we have to poll the VM running services to wait for our process to exit and then do some magic to pull down the exit code. Is this all there is? Does anyone else know of a hidden secret we dont? Looking at the MOB, I can't see anything we can pass to make it behave any differently. If anyone can help or point me to anything, that would be great.

0 Kudos
0 Replies