VMware {code} Community
akeeton
Contributor
Contributor

Invalid parameters, even with the sample code

Hi,

I probably missed some documentation somewhere with my answer, so bear with me. I've combed the forums for the answer, but none have applied. I'm using the latest VIX, 1.1.2-59824-i386, on Linux, and am trying to connect to VMWare Workstation 6.0.2 build 59824.

If I try the sample code, or any code for the matter, VixHost_Connect always fails. The jobHandle it returns is 0 - VIX_INVALID_HANDLE, and the err code is VIX_E_INVALID_ARG - "One of the parameters was invalid."

I've tried this line: jobHandle = VixHost_Connect(VIX_API_VERSION, VIX_SERVICEPROVIDER_VMWARE_WORKSTATION, NULL, 0, NULL, NULL, 0, VIX_INVALID_HANDLE, NULL, NULL);

I've tried using an API version of 1, I've tried specifying "VIX_SERVICEPROVIDER_VMWARE_SERVER" (just to see if I'd get a different result), I've tried specifying an IP, port, and login, and I still get the same error message. I've linked with every .so provided. Interestingly, linking with vixAllProducts causes the error to be 1000 - "The handle is not a valid VIX object" and causes different behavior if I use VIX_SERVICEPROVIDER_VMWARE_SERVER. Likewise, the provided PERL code also fails.

If I monitor traffic on localhost, I find that no packets are generated by VixHost_Connect.

Ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Two questions:

How are you linking with the VIX library?

What is the value of VIX_API_VERSION in the vix.h your program is including?

0 Kudos
akeeton
Contributor
Contributor

I'm specifying the library name and path to the linker, such as:

gcc -lvix -L/usr/lib/vmware-vix/lib ...

For trying the shared object under ws-2 (I believe it defaulted to ws-3/32bit/libvix.so), I chaned the sym link. Likewise, for libvixAllProducts.so, I used:

gcc -lvixAllProducts -L/usr/lib/vmware-vix/lib ...

VIX_API_VERSION is 3.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you are trying to use VIX with Workstation 6.0.2, you will need to be linking with the shared library in ws-3/32bit/, not ws-2. The ws-3 directory contains the new libraries that will work with the 6.0.2 release.

0 Kudos
akeeton
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but even when I link with that library, I am met with the same issue: "One of the parameters was invalid".

This is when linking, using -lvix, with the libvix.so sym link set to ws-3/32bit/libvix.so, and with no other instance of libvix.so installed.

0 Kudos