VMware {code} Community
BobOmega
Contributor
Contributor

InstallTools function

Hi,

I'm just playing around with VIX API to get myself familiar with it (working with C# and WorkStation 6.5, so I suppose it should be VIX 1.6 right?).

After opening and powering on an image, I wanted to install the VMWare tools automatically. But the InstallTools function only seems to launch the msi and does not automate through the VMWare tool installer. The code I wrote is as the following:

job=vm.InstallTools(0, null, null);

So my question is how do I get the tools' installation automated. Anyone help please?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
fixitchris
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Has this issue been resolved???

Possible to launch msi with /qn?

0 Kudos
akoeplinger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The documentation says: "Prepares an ISO image to install VMware Tools on the guest operating system. ". So the installation isn't automated, the ISO image is just mounted in the guest.

It might be possible to use some kind of "/silent" parameter on the msi with the RunProgramInGuest() function, though.

Regards, Alex

0 Kudos
fixitchris
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I noticed that the argument for InstallTools has to be null, so you're right, possibly calling InstallTools to mount the image and RunProgramInGuest could work.

0 Kudos
akoeplinger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After thinking over this again, it came to my mind that the RunProgramInGuest() function already needs installed VMware Tools to work, so this is not an option.

Maybe you can utilize Mark Russinovichs psexec tool instead of the RunProgramInGuest() function to run the msi with a /silent parameter?

Regards, Alex

0 Kudos