VMware {code} Community
mmedlin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host Permission Problem - VMWare Server 2.0 - vix 1.5

I just upgraded my server to version 2.0 and my vix client to version 1.5. My vb.net code that was previously connecting properly now gets permission problems.

"Insufficient permissions in host operating system"

I'm using the same logon and userID that I use for the web access on port 8333. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting past this problem?

Here's the routine that was working for VMWare Server 1.0.x with Vix 1.1.

Public Sub New(ByRef hostname As String, ByRef userid As String, ByRef password As String, ByRef vmxFile As String)

Dim job As VixCOM.IJob

Dim vix_status

job = vixlib.Connect(VixCOM.Constants.VIX_API_VERSION, VixCOM.Constants.VIX_SERVICEPROVIDER_VMWARE_SERVER, _

"https://" & hostname & ":902/sdk", 0, userid, password, 0, Nothing, Nothing)

Dim results = Nothing

Dim props() As Integer = {VixCOM.Constants.VIX_PROPERTY_JOB_RESULT_HANDLE}

vix_status = job.Wait(props, results)

If vixlib.ErrorIndicatesFailure(vix_status) Then

Dim VixException As New Exception("Connection to VMWare server '" & hostname & "' failed with exception '" & vixlib.GetErrorText(vix_status, Nothing) & "'")

Throw VixException

End If

host = results(0)

job = host.OpenVM(vmxFile, Nothing)

vix_status = job.Wait(props, results)

If vixlib.ErrorIndicatesFailure(vix_status) Then

Dim VixException As New Exception("Open of '" & vmxFile & "' failed with exception '" & vixlib.GetErrorText(vix_status, Nothing) & "'")

Throw VixException

End If

vm_vmx_file = vmxFile

vm = results(0)

End Sub

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lemke
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Probably

[standard] test104/xpbase.vmx

You should be able to see the name via the UI , though it may be buried in some config screen.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
lemke
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You need to change the hostType from VIX_SERVICEPROVIDER_VMWARE_SERVER to VIX_SERVICEPROVIDER_VMWARE_VI_SERVER in the Connect() call.

mmedlin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply.

That gives me a return code of 26 in vix_status. The text is "Unable to connect to the host".

0 Kudos
lemke
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You're using 902 as the port in the URL. Try 8333.

mmedlin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm back to vix_status = 3014

"Insufficient permissions in host operating system"

My user is setup on the host just as it was with VMWare Server 1.0.x. Is there a log or something I could check on my server?

0 Kudos
lemke
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

That means it doesn't like the username/password you passed in the Connect() call. Its validating it against the host that Server is running on.

The interesting logs are in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Server\hostd*.log or /var/log/vmware/hostd/hostd.log (depending on theOS Server is using). Though in this case its probably just going to show a login fault.

0 Kudos
mmedlin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm good to go. I had changed a forward slash to back slash while trying to debug. I changed it back and everything works as advertised.

The suggestion to change the service provider and port got me over the hump.

I'm erroring on the OpenVM command now. Again, this command worked with the older release of VMWare server. Is there something special about the formatting of the filename for VMWare Server 2.0?

0 Kudos
lemke
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yeah, Server 2 uses the ESX style of naming VMs, with the datastore as part of the name, rather than a basic filepath.

So instead of "/path/to/vm.vmx", you'd use something like "[storage] path/to/vm.vmx".

This affects Open(), Register and Unregister()

0 Kudos
mmedlin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've guessed a few times and I'm not having any luck.

My data store is named "standard". The data store is the "e:\virtual machines" directory.

The image that I want is "e:\virtual machines\test104\xpbase.vmx".

What should my ESX style name be?

I've tried several combinations

\test104\xpbase.vmx

test104\xpbase.vmx

standard\test104\xpbase.vmx

test104/xpbase.vmx

0 Kudos
lemke
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Probably

[standard] test104/xpbase.vmx

You should be able to see the name via the UI , though it may be buried in some config screen.

0 Kudos
mmedlin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That did it

Thank you so much for the help

0 Kudos
karabax
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm experiencing the same problem connecting but via COM.

mmedlin: can you please provide details what fixed it in your case? You have mentioned something about replacing slashesh, can you please provide the exact format?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
mmedlin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Which version of VMWare Server are you using? Do you need an example of the Connect or the OpenVM command?

0 Kudos