VMware {code} Community
jhoagland
Contributor
Contributor

Going from suspended state to reverted, with script execution

Hello,

I'm having a hard time finding a good way (or perhaps any way) to do something from a Perl program on VMware Server

1.0.x.

Suppose I have suspended my VM and later I want to revert to its snapshotted state, but I also want to have VMware Server execute the "Resume Guest OS" script (or of one the other script events) right after the revert.

Rather than going into everything I have tried, I think I should just ask: what is the best way to do this?

(Previously this program did a "stop hard" instead of a suspend, in which case "start" both did a revert and ran the resume script. However, we now need to do a suspend instead.)

This is on a Linux machine

(Debian Etch, 2.6.18-3-686-bigmem) with the VMware VIX Perl API installed and working, as well as VMPerl. The VM is configured to revert to snapshot on shutdown (snapshot.action = "autoRevert").

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jhoagland
Contributor
Contributor

One obvious solution which doesn't quite work is doing a VMRevertToSnapshot() from the suspended state. This does the revert, but for reasons I don't understand, it doesn't execute the "Resume Guest OS" script.

0 Kudos