VMware {code} Community
iliyatz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Difference between VIX API TO VSPHERE API

Hello

i am a very "green" in vm world and i am trying to create some simple implication c# that will read the data from vcenter about machine and will deploy machine in a future .

rom what i have learned until now that my option is using vsphere api for this task is best option .Now i found that there is one more vix api can u pls explain me what is the difference between them and do i need to install addition packets on the esx that is hosting the vcenter?

thank you!!!!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
c4milo
Contributor
Contributor

The main difference is that VIX was originally developed to run exclusively guest operations whereas vSphere used to be only for managing resources in ESX and vCenter. Since ESX 5.5, most of VIX functionality was merged into the vSphere SDK leaving VIX mostly for managing guests only in VMware Fusion, Workstation, Player and Server products. Although, you can still use it for guest operations in ESX.

iliyatz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

I have today program that  i used vshpere api in c# to preofrm some automation that works vs vcenter service or vcenter can i use same api for working vs vmware work station ?

THX

0 Kudos