VMware {code} Community
jfbellemare
Contributor
Contributor

Convert vmcon vbs script to VIX?

Hi all,

We upgraded our vmware server version from 1.09 to version 2.01 because we had some performance issues and IT management wanted to test the new version. Install was a breeze and everything is working fine since we upgraded. Here is the problem:

We had scripts running every week that closed the vm and transfer a zipped copy of the vmdk file to another location for backup purposes. To my surprise, the scripts were vbs files coded using the vmcom API. I'm not really confortable with the VIX API and can't really find the code samples i need to accomplish the conversion. I attached a copy of our script so if anyone got a VIX version or can give me some code i can use it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments are in french so here's the main fonctions:

1- Get VM state

2- Stop vm guest OS

3- Copy the vmdk to a temp folder

4- Restart the VM

5- Compress the vmdk file in a remote folder

Jeff

0 Kudos
4 Replies
fixitchris
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you'd like you can try my app @ http://communities.vmware.com/thread/191565?tstart=0. I can help you set it up.

0 Kudos
jfbellemare
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I'll set it up today and try it outside of business hours.

0 Kudos
jfbellemare
Contributor
Contributor

Hot Backup works really great BUT:

- We backup our vms individually (different day) once a week and the service's scheduler does not seem to support this. Am i correct?

- A feature to "compress and copy " the vm backup to a remote location would be a great asset.

- The SNMP feature would be essential to be used in production environment. Just add SMTPsend.exe to your program :smileyblush:

- The ability to launch hot backups directly from the GUI would also be a nice feature.

Hope it helps and thanks again. I'll let you know what i think with later testing.

Jeff

0 Kudos
fixitchris
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for your input, your requests will be implemented once a new release of VIX is released. I completely agree that better notification options and a more granular schedule is necessary. I'm thinking about allowing scripted actions to be inserted into the backup schedule so then you can write your own Powershell scripts for additional actions performed on the VMDKs...

0 Kudos