VMware {code} Community
RockyConcept
Contributor
Contributor

Can we use VIX to get VMNet info from Workstation

Hi,

I am using VIX for communicating with VM i.e. to start and run the apps inside VM. I am curious to know , is there any way to get the available VMNet info from Workstation. Usually VMnet0, Vmnet1 and VMNet8 for Bridge, host and NAT respectvely. I want to are rest of VMNet are free for use ?

The information is available in Virtual Network Editor ( i.e.Edit -> Virtual Network Editor ) but i want to access the same information through code.

Thanks in advance,,,,,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry, currently there is no programmatic way to get that information in Workstation.

Can you give any more information about your use case?

0 Kudos
RockyConcept
Contributor
Contributor

My use case: I want to create the private network on VMware workstation. I have copied some VM from one host to another host. All these VMs use the static IP and bridged netwrok. My both host are also on network. If I run the copied VM as is then it start conflicting the IP and names. To avoid that I want to run those copied machines in private network. I am copying all the VMs like DNS, DomainController VMs etc. So they should able to run without any issue in private network. Hope it is clear.

I think if you choose the custom VMnet which doesn;t have any network adapter assigned ( i.e. bridged etc) and update the same in all those copied VM, it should work. Please correct me if there is any other way to get this done.

I have N number of VMs and I do it frequently. So i want some programatic way to know which VMnet is free (i.e. no physical network adapter is assgined ), so that I can edit it in VMX.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Thank you for the information.

I don't think VIX has the capabilities to do what you're looking at. However, you may want to take a look at making a Team out of these virtual machines and connecting them with LAN segments. I'm not sure if this will completely address your issue, but it may help.

I'll bring up your use case with our product managers so they are aware of it.

0 Kudos
c4milo
Contributor
Contributor

I think exposing a VMNET API through VIX would be very useful for a lot of people. (myself included Smiley Happy)

0 Kudos
rioncarter
Contributor
Contributor

I agree- this would be very useful. I'm trying to use C# to manage my VMWare infastructure and I don't want to have to deal with invoking a powershell session. I was under the impression that PowerCLI was using VIX under the covers, but this appears to not be the case(??).

0 Kudos