VMware Cloud Community
suj
Contributor
Contributor

wmfare remote line interface

Hi,

I wanted to remotely administer my esxserver by using one of the VMware Infrastructure Remote Command Line tools.

I have downloaded 3 tolls,one for the windows,linux and Virtual applinace.

I went to this URL http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_infrastructure_3/3_5#drivers_tools\

and downloaded the .zip file which contains two files with extensions .ovf and .vmdk.

But still I don't know how to install this tool to administer my esx3i, 3.5.0 on a windows 7?

Please someone she some light on it.

Thanks

adil

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

To get the prepacked virtual machines onto the ESXi server you can use the free VMware Converter Standalone: http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_vcenter_converter_standalone/4_0

To administrate the ESXi server from the command line you need the RCLI tool, which is part of the vMAm you'll found there.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
suj
Contributor
Contributor

I am very new to the VMworld.

I didn't understand why I need to use the converter? and How?

we hava a esx 3i,3.5.0 running on a bare metal?

How am i supposed to admin the esx server using remotecli which I have downloaded from the web site which contains .ovf and .vmdk files?

I wanted to administer from a wondows 7 Pc?

a sep-by-step guide would be much appreciated.

My limied knowledge of .vmdk is it is the file syetm used by the VMware for creating .vmx(VM) in it?

Thanks

adilsiv

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

You can administer the ESXi server either by using the Windows vClient, which is a GUI or the command line. You asked for the command line.

The virtual machine vMA you have downloaded can be transferred to the ESXi host with the VMware Converter. Download it and choose to convert a machine, browse to the guest files you have downloaded. Choose you VI3 infrastructure as the target. Find more here: http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/converter_pubs.html

When the guest is up and running you can connect to it either via the network or via the console in the vClient. There you'll fin the remote command line RCLI.

Do you have already a VMFS datastore created?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

0 Kudos
suj
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah.

I have already created a VMFS and calling it as the datastore1.

I have created two vmhba's with 82801FB/FW(ICH6/ICH6W) SATA Controller and another one called vmhba0(which I assume is the default primary disk).

So I am assuning I can download the converter at my windows 7 pc and follow the instructions,right?

thanks

adilsiv

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Yes.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

0 Kudos
suj
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I downloaded the converter and started using the Convert Machine menu.

On the source system and Destination system what are the different settings I need to use?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Read page 13 of that document: http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vima/vima40/doc/vma_40_guide.pdf

It seems that you can't use a converter but you need the vCenter client to deploy the vMA:

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

0 Kudos