VMware Cloud Community
taladon
Contributor
Contributor

vswitch & vlans

Hello all. I'm setting up 4 physical servers, each connected to a physical switch.

What I want to do is have two ip addresses for each virtual machine, a public address and a private (10.) address...

I only have 1 network card in each blade. I am not using VCenter so distributed switches are not a possibility.

What I am thinking about doing is creating a seperate vlan for internal vs external...

My question is this: If I do this, will VM's on one physical host be able to contact the 10. addresses of VM"s on another physical host?

If I'm not making sense or whatever, please let me know and I'll try to describe what I'm trying to do better.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Yattong
Expert
Expert

Hey,

You can quite easily achieve this by using virtual switch tagging; and trunking to the physical switch.

Create a vSwitch with 2 portgroups. Each portgroup with a different VLAN ID.

Configure the correct vmnic# onto the vSwitch.

Trunk the 2 VLANs onto that vmnic#

Place each vNic onto the 2 portgroups.

Obviously you'll be using VLAN segregation between your DMZ and other network(s)... whether this is within your security policies, you'll need to check.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y